SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know the weight of the mast (standard rig)? Mine is currently lying down on top of the boat (far, far from a crane) and I need to lift it off but need to know the weight before devising a plan.

· Registered
740 Posts
Reaction score
I currently have my mast on sawhorses for the first time. Similar boat...a Cal 2-27. I haven't lifted the whole mast, but I have lifted each end while working on it. I would be very surprised if it weighed more than 80 pounds or so.

· Freedom isn't free
3,303 Posts
Reaction score
Correct. well less than 100 lbs. It should be very moveable while down by one person.
If you need to put it up yourself, that is a different story... but we have a couple club members that have done it.. with 3 people.

I've been stepping my own mast which is 4 feet shorter, solo (using an A-frame). So its very doable.

· no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
Reaction score
I remember the Catalina 25 tall mast being about 100lbs, and the Catalina 27 uses a similar extrusion that is a couple of feet longer.

Looking on Rig-Rite the mast sections for other similar 27' boats appear to weigh 2.5-3lbs per foot. The mast is about 33' long (standard mast, tall is longer), which would be about 85-100lbs. Add spreaders, masthead, halyards, and rigging which probably add another 15-20lbs.

· Registered
101 Posts
Reaction score
We have a Catalina 27 Tall Rig (so I think that's 2' longer than yours), and have had the mast down numerous times for re-wiring, new masthead, installing VHF antenna on top, etc.

Two adults can carry it pretty easily. I would estimate the weight at about 100-110 lbs. It would be pretty difficult to move, carry, or maneuver with just one person.

We raise and lower the mast with an A-frame made out of 2x4s. Works great, but is scary!!! I can send you a link to the plans for building this if you'd like.

Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.