SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Catalina 27 with snapped keel bolt

Looking at a Catalina 27 for sale. Great looking boat. the owner mentioned that when he first got the boat he droped the keel to make sure it was all dry between the led and the fiberglass. Filled it with sikaflex to seal it all and then re apoxeyed the whole keel. But when he was tightining the keel back up he snaped one of the bolts. In his opinion this can be easily repared by putting a lag bolt into the keel to make a new stud.

My worry is the keel will fall off in heavy sea and sink the boat ))

Otherwise the boat looks fantastic, good price great motor. Not worth running a survey for the price of the boat.

I will appreciate the forum opinions and advice,

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Re: Catalina 27 with snapped keel bolt

I don't have that information. I would need to ask the owner. It's a day trip so I am trying to find out if its even worth the time to look at the boat or its just a good looking sinker.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

HTML:
How many keel bolts are there and how long are the bolts....
Is there indentation or any crush/collapse inside where the bolt broke
So it's a six bolt Keel. According to the owner the keel can hold on one bolt and the other five are in perfectly good order. My concern is that no one reassembles a keel for fun and resells after a year. I'll try to get more details about the condition of the other bolts.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I seriously doubt that the keel will stay on with one bolt. That makes me question the seller's attitude and knowledge. There are issues with the plywood in the keel sump rotting out on those boats resulting in a loose keel & a gap between keel and hull (the "Catalina Smile") - I wonder if the keel was dropped to repair that? Also, my understanding is that lagging new bolts into those keels is nowhere near as strong as the originals (cast into the lead). There are tons of Cat 27s out there - I'd keep looking.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

I seriously doubt that the keel will stay on with one bolt. That makes me question the seller's attitude and knowledge. There are issues with the plywood in the keel sump rotting out on those boats resulting in a loose keel & a gap between keel and hull (the "Catalina Smile") - I wonder if the keel was dropped to repair that? Also, my understanding is that lagging new bolts into those keels is nowhere near as strong as the originals (cast into the lead). There are tons of Cat 27s out there - I'd keep looking.
Yes, I read about "The Catalina Smile" while doing some search on the subject. And I agree to carry on looking. I can't imagine few issues worst than keel problems. It is also an older model, early 70's and I read that the Catalina smile was a worst problem on those. Thank you very much for the advice.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Yes, I read about "The Catalina Smile" while doing some search on the subject. And I agree to carry on looking. I can't imagine few issues worst than keel problems. It is also an older model, early 70's and I read that the Catalina smile was a worst problem on those. Thank you very much for the advice.
Good luck- they're great boats. The right one is out there.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
It's worth pursuing. It the keel was really dropped and the other bolts were in good condition and the keel sump has no problems, this could remove a major concern for you. I do agree that there is lots of margin in the keel bolt design, so loss of one does not mean the keel will fall off. But you do need to verify what was really done.

·
Registered
152 Posts

·
Senior Moment Member
13,300 Posts
Keel bolts are generally designed with a huge margin of safety because there is no way to calculate the dynamic loading on a keel.

It may help ease your concerns to know that when I had the 10,000 Lb keel off my Columbia 43 the yard moved it around with a chain held on by just two "Grade Nothing" bolts into the end keel bolt holes (iron keel). By comparison, the mounting to the boat was 10 high quality bolts

It got significantly jounced around and swung while it was being forklifted around and it was absolutely fine.

The hanger bolt repair the PO told you about is what Catalina recommends - the other option is re-casting the keel with new bolts.

Reactions: Pasadena

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)

I found another Catalina. The owner admits to have caulked part of the smile and the bilge has been dry since.

Does anyone know what "Caulked" refers to, is this a proper repair or just a filler to get by?

I am getting the feeling that is a widespread problem in all Catalinas from the 70's

1 - 20 of 24 Posts