SailNet Community banner

21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Yeah i2f, I love stealing good ideas. Sailors seem to be a pretty creative bunch when it comes to rigging crap together.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was surprised there's not a dedicated C27 subforum either. I've just joined sailnet (but no stranger to online forums). I hope SailNet will make us our own home :)

We've had our 1988 C27 for about 6 years now and this year have been doing some major work on it. We had the mast down for the first time to replace bulbs, sheaves, spreader boots, and wind transducer. We also replaced the two thru-hull transducers (new Raymarine ST40+ kit) before launching this year. The old sheaves were missing most of their edges.

A big project for us is finding a good way to repaint the nonskid parts of the deck. We're getting little holes in the bottom of the nonskid "pits" and we can see fiberglass strands. Not good.

Next up is clean and oil all the teak, and this year we're taking the teak trim off to rebed / re-silicone all the trim.

And while all that's happening I'm working on running the cables for our new instruments, and adding our Autohelm autopilot to our new Seatalk network. And a way to hook up our handheld GPS.

Happy sailing to everyone!

·
Registered
47 Posts
New C-27 owner

I just bought mine for a few hundred with all the parts EXCEPT the main sail. Does anyone have one in decent shape they could sell cheap? What size line recommended for jib sheets?

Why do I feel a trip to WM coming on?

Oh, and is there anything I can soak the halyards in to get rid of the green mold/mildew and not rot the threads? Is there such a thing as "rope conditioner"?

And Smack, yes, tis I of SVDS fame.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
What size line recommended for jib sheets?
I think mine are 1/2". They're pretty thick and it makes them easier to handle, but it also makes it harder for the sails to fill in light winds. I have a 155% "drifter" and the sheets are much thinner, like 1/4".

Oh, and is there anything I can soak the halyards in to get rid of the green mold/mildew and not rot the threads?
I hear soap and water is surprisingly effective. One thing I've heard, but am yet to try, is to put your lines in a mesh bag and put them in the wash.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
What size line recommended for jib sheets?
I think mine are 1/2". They're pretty thick and it makes them easier to handle, but it also makes it harder for the sails to fill in light winds. I have a 155% "drifter" and the sheets are much thinner, like 1/4".

Oh, and is there anything I can soak the halyards in to get rid of the green mold/mildew and not rot the threads?
I hear soap and water is surprisingly effective. One thing I've heard, but am yet to try, is to put your lines in a mesh bag and put them in the wash.

I think you don't need to worry about products rotting your lines, which are probably made purely of synthetic materials, no?

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
I just bought mine for a few hundred with all the parts EXCEPT the main sail. Does anyone have one in decent shape they could sell cheap? What size line recommended for jib sheets?

Why do I feel a trip to WM coming on?

Oh, and is there anything I can soak the halyards in to get rid of the green mold/mildew and not rot the threads? Is there such a thing as "rope conditioner"?

And Smack, yes, tis I of SVDS fame.

Thanks,

John
Sweet thin! Congrats! Now let's race - and let's do it before you get your main so I can have a chance.

Before you head to WM - take a look at the Sailnet/Marine.com stores. The prices really are very good. I just bought a holding tank from them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Gimmee a fightin' chance....

Smack --

Your bragging rights are safe for a few months. Keep your eyes peeled for a used main, please. If I can afford it, it's GOT to be pretty well used.

Also, I need the fore running lights, red and green; nothing but a hole on each side. Should I use this as an excuse to upgrade to LED? Best/cheapest sources?

After hours of cleaning, and then hours of sanding and fairing, and plenty of time in the toxic atmosphere that is spray painting, THEN I get to tackle the Atomic 4.

Man, I love sailboats!

Thanks,

John

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Are the bowlight housings still in place? Just the lenses gone? Or do you literally mean a hole?

And is yours the dinette or pimp lounge version?

·
Registered
47 Posts
For real

Holes, as in fiberglass, fiberglass, fiberglass, no fiberglass, fiberglass, etc.

Interior has two settees opposite each other. If this is your idea of "pimp", we need a sidebar.

John

·
TEAM ZISSU
98 Posts
line cleaning

I have run my c 27's lines (exept the wire to rope halyards) through the washing machine at home 4 times in the past ten years with no noticeable ill effects. I've never used a bag or special soap. I just heap them in, throw in some tide as usual and they come out looking spectastic, tangled but spectastic. I don't think i'd reccomend the dryer though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Good ideas

Dro --

Thanks for the tip. Maybe I'll soak the rope halyards in soap with a touch of Lysol, agitate, rinse, and air dry. Truth be told, I should probably invest in an industrial barrel of Lysol to clean this girl up.

Still looking for a mainsail, (almost) any condition.

John

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've got a 1980 Cat 27. Thinwater, keep an eye on craigslist. I remember when I was boat shopping (about 2 months ago) somebody was selling sails off a cat 27... I just checked and didn't see any though. You might try craiglook.com (not affiliated) it provides a more powerful search.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Craigslook

NW --

Craigslook is like a search engine for Craigslist, and it lets you search nationwide instead of one market at a time. I've found a guy who has several C-27 mains for sale and we're just making sure that the slides and measurements match. BTW, I'm in North Carolina. Any other east coast Cat sailors?

John

·
Registered
240 Posts
Craigslook is like a search engine for Craigslist, and it lets you search nationwide instead of one market at a time.
Yeah that's what I was trying to explain. I guess I didn't do a very good job.

As to our own forum, the way I see it, the Catalina forum is the Cat 27 forum. Everybody else has to use the sub-forums :laugher

·
Itz That Eazy!!!
82 Posts
I have been on Sailnet for awhile and rarely see any comments about C-27s. Usually have to go to the Catalina 27/270 Association to get any conversation. Glad to see some fellow C-27 owners here. I am already seeing some real experts here that will be sharing their experiences with us.

As for me, my girl is a 1976 Catalina 27 #2684. She is being completely refitted and rebuilt. It took forever for her to dry out. But I can finally give her the love and attention she has been craving for so long.

I live in NW Louisiana and she is the "Other Woman." :D

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,242 Posts
You Catalina 27 owners could do as I did for my Tartan 27. I started a Yahoo group called T27Owners. The Group allows you to upload photos, post files, links, databases etc. It is free to set up but someone has to do it and be the owner/moderator. I nominate Smackdaddy for the job!
You do need to set up a Yahoo id to use the Groups function.
T27Owners : Tartan 27 Owners Yahoo Group

Alternatively, there is a Catalina owners group over at SBO, CatalinaOwners.com - Home
which serves all the models.

Or, you can stay right here.

21 - 40 of 81 Posts