SailNet Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My third thread I am starting and really appreciate this place for it's feedback.

New to boating and made a tentative offer on a Catalina 30 in what seemed to be to overall good shape. Tried to follow to the great boat inspection thread listed here. SOO helpful! Some things I realize I forgot to do (like ask for the receipt of the claimed rebuild engine from a few years ago) I dug into every corner and opening I could find. Boat price is really right (upper teens) for the first year mk2 version. No catalina smile on the full keel. Will of course have the boat professionally inspected (rudder didn't turn very smoothly). There was one other major concern and wanted to get people's thought if I should even hire a inspector or if this is too serious of an issue? There was a crack under the port front settee (picture attached). That is the discharge hose coming from the head. I did not find any other cracks on the boat and all anchor bolts were very square with no sign of water ingress. Decks felt hard all the way around. Thanks.
Automotive tire Hood Water Wood Grey

·
Registered
25,129 Posts
Without taking in a bigger context and seeing it in person, it's pretty hard to say. First thing that went through my head was wondering if she'd had a prior impact that had been repaired from the outside. Could be damage from improper stand or lift strap placement on the heard. Can't know. Takes a pro to check it out.

Your eye is getting pretty good to take note of that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First thing that went through my head was wondering if she'd had a prior impact that had been repaired from the outside.
Now that you mention that, there was a two foot long impact scratch in about that location on the outside of the hull. Had not been covered up. Looked like a minor dock rub or scratch. Paint was off the hull about in 1/2 width by two feet long but no spider cracks on the paint around it and I could not see any indentations in the fiberglass at all. Again, I'll have this looked at by a professional but wanted to make sure this should not be a deal breaker before I spend the $ on the inspection.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Looks like it could be the internal grid/pan that separated from the hull. Perhaps from that impact you saw outside. If the hull laminate is OK at that point, it may be just a matter of a bit of fiberglass work to reattach it. Or it could be a sign of something more serious.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
From the description you've given, it sounds like they hit something or got hit by something that flexed the hull in and cracked the tabbing there. Can you see the other side of the joints to find out if it is cracked on that side too? It would be better if the other side isn't damaged. If it IS damaged, it's more serious. If you can't see the other side, you don't know, and there may be more extensive damage. The fact that the crack seems to go both across the hull (along the head bulkhead) and along the hull (along the settee) is not a good thing. Can the owner explain what happened?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
It looks like the area has been painted (see the paint splatters on the hoses?). I'd check to see if the nearby interior areas are also painted, as well as the starboard side settee areas. If just this area was painted, I'd want to know why; the cynical obvious conclusion is that the owner wanted to cover up something there. That's not a crime, but if he's painting over a repair, you want to know that.

Fiberglass cracks for one reason: because it was flexed past its failure point. Not always a big deal as it can be fixed. But the more you know, the better you can gauge if you want this boat.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,637 Posts
Catalina used plywood in the keelstub up until about 1988 so if you don't have the smile you're probably in good condition l

Liner cracks aren't necessarily bad

Reactions: Timtom

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It looks like the area has been painted (see the paint splatters on the hoses?). I'd check to see if the nearby interior areas are also painted, as well as the starboard side settee areas.
Good point and catch on the paint. They did have a few other lockers that were painted, including under the V berth, where they had stored some items. Will investigate for sure but hopefully it was painted to keep the storage area clean.

·
Registered
312 Posts
If that is the hull that its supposed to be tabbed to, that is real damage. If it wasn't repaired properly, I would wonder about what else wasn't repaired properly... With the number of boats for sale, I would walk...

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
“Your” tabbing issue is not unheard of nor should it necessarily be a deal breaker. It is repairable. Get an estimate from your surveyor or boatyard and work it into an adjustment to your negotiated price. This is what the survey is for. I had a tabbing repair done to my boat some twenty years ago and the repair is still going strong. Catalina Yachts has an excellent customer service reputation and they can pull your boat’s file and you can see records of repairs that they had consulted on.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Good point and catch on the paint. They did have a few other lockers that were painted, including under the V berth, where they had stored some items. Will investigate for sure but hopefully it was painted to keep the storage area clean.
Pretty sure that the paint is there to clean up the appearance, if they were attempting to hide a problem then the small crack/separation would have had filler of some sort squeezed into it and another coat or two added. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts