SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering purchasing a catalina 34 mk2. i use the boat for sailing in southern cal. from san miguel island down to encinada.
I am looking for opionions on whether the boat is strong enough for this type of sailing. san miguel often gets 30-35 kt winds. thanks

·
Registered
994 Posts
The larger Catalina''s (34+) are excellent boats, solidly constructed all glass hulls and a very strong hull to deck joint. Look at the chainplates and you will find them securely attached to major structural members. I am sure you will inspect any boat you get carefully to ensure it is in good order to take the kind of wind and seas you expect to find. I am also sure you will be reefing early.

Perhaps a "bluewater" boat is more well suited for conditions where sustained winds of 30-35 kts, but I would think a properly rigged and reefed C34 would do fine. There are a couple things to consider for the C34: Keel stepped masts and tall or standard rigs were/are options on the C34. I would make certain you get a keel stepped mast and the standard rig for what you describe. When you purchase the boat, you might consider beefing up the running rigging.

No doubt you will get a diversity of opinion here. You can get some feedback from actually Catlina owners at: www.catalinaowners.com

I have been researching my next boat for some time now and am looking at both the C34 and C36, the latter being my preference. I like Catalina''s because they are well built, have solid glass hulls and are VERY easy to maintain - everything on the boat is easily gotten to (tanks, chainplates, electrical, through hulls etc etc). There is always a ready market for them and thus easy to sell when you want to step up.

Good luck.

·
Registered
994 Posts
John has given you very good information. This is what Catalina 34''s are built for. They will offer you the most room, along with great resale. I am a yacht broker who is willing to provide my services in your search. Or should you wish to have a list of comparable sales in this market I will be happy just to provide that.

Len Bose

1 - 3 of 3 Posts