SailNet Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know why the Catalina and Hunter web sites have disappeared? Have those two giants succumb to the recession? Last time I experienced the missing web site phenomenon was when I tried to go to the ABI Marine site, and they have gone out of business.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Hunter is still there now. Catalina website is out. Probably a server issue as there has been NO business announcements or rumours in the industry that I an find. They probaby had their Go-Daddy account run out! :D
Per an e-mail from Gerry Douglas to the Catalina 36 owners e-mail list, the Catalina website is temporarily down due to a lightening strike at the server.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
This kind of goes to show you that event he biggest of the big sailboat manufacturers really is small time/small business when it comes down to it. I wonder when the day will arrive when we truly have a production builder be like a Honda or Toyota in terms of TQM...including the IT infrastructure :)

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
This kind of goes to show you that event he biggest of the big sailboat manufacturers really is small time/small business when it comes down to it. snip:)
Which part? The fact that there's no redundancy to their web presense, or the fact that the companies chief designer and VP is the one to communicate the fact?

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Which part? The fact that there's no redundancy to their web presense, or the fact that the companies chief designer and VP is the one to communicate the fact?
A little bit of both...

But still, an "Under Construction" page for the largest domestic builder of sailboats? I like their product, but it points to the culture of the company. Its really small...effectively a family business.

There are industry parallels to yachts. Regional home builders for example.

What is frustrating for me is that even the lowest of the low automobile comes with a 3 year bumper to bumper warranty/dealer coverage. On something that sees daily usage in environments as tough as the marine environment (daily life on the roads of the USA).

But homes and sailboats (investments well north of $150,000 at times) usually only come with a *ONE YEAR* warranty.

So something that costs 4-10 times as much as a car....gets 1/3 (or less) warranty coverage....what gives?!

The industry, in my opinion, has much to mature...and much consolidation to happen. Auto co's were able to offer those warranties because they did an internal focus on *QUALITY* Some of the warranty issues on my boat just drive me nuts...I'd never tolerate an equivalent issue in an automobile. Why do we tolerate it for boats?

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
The industry, in my opinion, has much to mature...and much consolidation to happen. Auto co's were able to offer those warranties because they did an internal focus on *QUALITY* Some of the warranty issues on my boat just drive me nuts...I'd never tolerate an equivalent issue in an automobile. Why do we tolerate it for boats?
I know what you mean! Those damn boat manufactures, they don't give nothing away. Short warranties, I bet they they don't even pay over 27 dollar's an hour for people to sweep floors. I also bet those boat builders might ask their employee to pay part of their health care.

You like the Auto Industry, I got 125 shares of GM I inherited 40 years ago, Make Offer!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
A little bit of both...

But still, an "Under Construction" page for the largest domestic builder of sailboats? I like their product, but it points to the culture of the company. Its really small...effectively a family business.

There are industry parallels to yachts. Regional home builders for example.

What is frustrating for me is that even the lowest of the low automobile comes with a 3 year bumper to bumper warranty/dealer coverage. On something that sees daily usage in environments as tough as the marine environment (daily life on the roads of the USA).

But homes and sailboats (investments well north of $150,000 at times) usually only come with a *ONE YEAR* warranty.

So something that costs 4-10 times as much as a car....gets 1/3 (or less) warranty coverage....what gives?!

That is because the manufacturers of the integral parts of boats (99.9% of boats parts) typically only have 12 month warranty from date of purchase. You may actually find that the boat builder produced products (hull warranty 5 years for example) have a longer warranty.

- CD

·
2,449 Posts
A little bit of both...

It's a numbers game. In 2008 Honda made 3,957,000 cars and another 15,392,000 motorcycles and ATV's. GM sold 8,350,000 vehicles worldwide.

Contrast that with the "Big" sailboat builders Beneteau, Catalina and Hunter.

I couldn't find published sales numbers for any of them but I would guess they are in the thousands not the hundreds of thousands.

Or to put it another way, the Catalina 30 is the #2 selling sailboat of all time with about 6,500 hulls built over 27 years (1974 and 2001). GM builds over 32,000 cars a day.

You're right that Catalina is in many ways a family business. I'm on my second Catalina and I can honestly say I've liked dealing with them so far. That's not to say I haven't occasionally been frustrated, but for the most part it's been a positive experience.

Dealing with a family business can be a blessing too. Catalina has answered questions and sent me free copies of manuals for my boats. They even throw parties for their owners at sailboat shows. How much support do you think Honda or GM would give to the owner of a 15 year old car?

Jim

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
That is because the manufacturers of the integral parts of boats (99.9% of boats parts) typically only have 12 month warranty from date of purchase. You may actually find that the boat builder produced products (hull warranty 5 years for example) have a longer warranty.

- CD
Cruisingdad - respectfully, I have to disagree with this being the root cause of the warranty gap. My personal belief is that there is a "tail wagging the dog" situation in yacht building. Meaning, the components providers and suppliers have more powre (pricing and product direction) over the building process than the actual designers/builders!!!

As I understand it, most auto's are no longer built from the ground up...but actually "assembled." Meaning most of the components and assemblies that make up a car are sourced and arrive in time for assembly from various contract manufacturers or big part producers. Somewhere in the 70s/80s, the Japanese manufacturers figured out that it was just unacceptable for them to live with and tolerate the defect rate their "partners" were generating in their components. So they forced their suppliers to focus on quality too...or they'd source from a different supplier. They had the power to force their suppliers to change their ways.

Yes, my Beneteau has a longer hull warranty, but again, this lends me to believe that in the yacht industry, there needs to be a lot more consolidation so that builders can have more power in the supply chain and focus on quality rather than just survival cash flow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts