SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,
resoring a catalina 22 and have a few large bubbles/delams on the walls up toward the bow. Is there a good trick to fixing these? looks to me like it isjust the thin white material that has delaminated because it is fairly easy to push the bubble back in but once I let go it pops back out.thanks!!!

·
snake charmer, cat herder
2,652 Posts
boats exterior best sound solid. this has nothing to do with boats exterior.it is a delaminating bulkhead.
delaminating plywood is sheets of paper not doing anything but lying side by side.
perhaps by removing your white veneer or surface layer of plywood, you might see what i am saying a little better. there is no strength to delaminating bulkhead.
go to other side of the bulkhead and tap there. does it sound solid ??
tap all the ply wood you have on board. does it all sound the same??
it doesnt take much to cut away a bulkhead and replace with healthy ply and epoxy. fg it in, and done. no more concern about that bulkhead for looong time.
i replaced 2 bulkheads so far, not difficult, and ye can actually do it yourself, if you can work with wood and fg.....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey thanks... I'm not sure how clear I was in my original description but the interior that so failing is up towar the bow and the exterior is the actual hull of the boat so wouldn't it mess something up if I cut the side our my boat out. Sorry if this is a dumb question thanks

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
I had some of the same thing happening on my C27 near the forward cabin ports. Mine was actually structural as it was caused by the lower shroud pulling the softening 40 year old deck up a bit. But no way was I going to dig into all that. So I just got a bigger backer plate to spread the load and kept sailing. You can see the problem in this pic:

If yours is not structural, I'd blow it off. But if you like perfection it might drive you nuts. Just figure out as best you can if it's worth fixing it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts