SailNet Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first time sailor, looking to buy a used sail boat and it appears that the hunter 30 or a tall rig catalina are usually available between the two wich one is better. its hard to look at pictures and deciede. i am looking at 1986 catalina or 1981 hunter... what are market prices for these vessels. i would appraciate some insight thanks

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I would seriously go crawl around a few of each and see what you think. No better time than now to look and buy. Prices are all over the board with both, you will have to try and do an apples to apples comparison and go from there. DOn't be afraid to make an offer on what YOU thinkthe boat is worth to you. Survey for sure.

Once you look them over then go sailing, even if you have to charter or rent a similar boat.

They will both need work, the good news is that the systems are not overly hard to fix and parts are readily available.

Best of luck

dave

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Joe—

I'd highly recommend you read the boat inspection tips thread I wrote. Then spend some time crawling around both boats and compare them. :)

·
One of None
8,040 Posts
I don't think hunters and Catalina's can really be compared they are vastly different boats. Hunters (at least the ones I've seen) have a higher free board, and less beam, Catalina's are beamy boats and lighter. for example my Oday 30 weighs in around 11,500 if i remember right. a C-30 i just found out recently weighs in about 10,500. All that aside.. C-30s are really nice boats. and seem way larger then 30ft. Do find the time go look at boats.. looking at pics, great, looking at specs.. OK.. real time crawling around PRICELESS! good luck!

·
Super Moderator
6,808 Posts
Catalina's are beamy boats and lighter. for example my Oday 30 weighs in around 11,500 if i remember right. a C-30 i just found out recently weighs in about 10,500. All that aside.. C-30s are really nice boats. and seem way larger then 30ft. Do find the time go look at boats.. looking at pics, great, looking at specs.. OK.. real time crawling around PRICELESS! good luck!
Actually the O'day 30's rated displacement is 10,600...

Three words about what is more important on boats of that age,,

CONDITION, CONDITION, CONDITION !!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I don't think hunters and Catalina's can really be compared they are vastly different boats. Hunters (at least the ones I've seen) have a higher free board, and less beam, Catalina's are beamy boats and lighter. for example my Oday 30 weighs in around 11,500 if i remember right. a C-30 i just found out recently weighs in about 10,500. All that aside.. C-30s are really nice boats. and seem way larger then 30ft. Do find the time go look at boats.. looking at pics, great, looking at specs.. OK.. real time crawling around PRICELESS! good luck!
Not sure the specs bear this out - the difference in beam is around 6 inches for example.
In addition to what others have suggested, sail both of them if that is practical to compare how they sail.

Also, If my limited experience is any indication, I used to race on a friends C&C in a class including 30 ft Hunters and Catalinas and the Hunter consistently blew away the similar sized and similarly sailed Catalina.

These two companies have consistently competed for the same market segment and sell similarly designed and similarly built boats - they are both still in business indicative they are both of decent quality and there are so substantial differences between them.

Carefully compare their condition and make your decision based on fact.

·
Barking Dog
237 Posts
If you are looking for my answer, I would go with a Catalina. I just went to the boat show and walked around (~10 minutes most) on each of them and found that I like the catalina better. Go for it.. Look at it this way, if you don't like the Catalina, you can always sell it and buy the Hunter next year.

·
One of None
8,040 Posts
"if I remember right" duh. Anyway.. H vs C very different imho :p :D

·
Barking Dog
237 Posts
If you are looking for my answer, I would go with a Catalina. I just went to the boat show and walked around (~10 minutes most) on each of them and found that I like the catalina better. Go for it.. Look at it this way, if you don't like the Catalina, you can always sell it and buy the Hunter next year.

I forgot to add that I used to own a Catalina 30 Tall Rig and I really really liked that boat. It's in the sailboat hall of fame. However, Charlie Gibson owns a Hunter (~27'), so to each their own.

·
Aeolus II
670 Posts
We don't know where you intend to use this new boat and how you plan to lean to sail. If you plan to sail in sheltered waters and plan to take some sailing courses I suggest you take a sailing course first and then perhaps charter a boat or 2 and then make an educated purchase instead of blindly buying a boat.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Bottom line upfront...either of those would be great starter boats to learn on and enjoy weekends and the occasional week or so vacation in protected waters. If that is your intended purpose, the best choice between those models is to pick the one in the best condition.

Now on to the subjectives. If you compare a H31 and a C30 you spouse will likely prefer the H31. If you look at the PHRF numbers(an arguably imprecise indicator of sailing performance)they will probably favor the H31. The boats dimensions are very similar:

H31 C30
LOA 31' 4" 29'11"
Beam 10'11" 10'10"
Dis 9900 10200

The lighter displacement probably explains the better PHRF numbers but other 30's are more in line with the Catalina's displacement so perhaps one could conclude the Hunter is somewhat lighter than it should be for its size. The Catalina will probably have more appropriately sized winches and hardware. The Catalina will likely get the nod for ease of owner maintenence as well, but I never owner either so I can't say for sure. The boats overall come to be a near match just if you look long and hard enough you'll begin to see where decsions were made to hit the price point for the boat.

When I was in your shoes about 5 years ago, I had my sights on an H31, but as my search continued, trying to find that boat in really good shape, I came across a really nice O'day 322, which became my first boat, so I competely agree with Mainesail that condition is the most important factor. For comparisons sake, the numbers on my Oday were LOA 32'2", B 10'8" and Displacement listed as 10250. That boat had a wing keel and was considered a decent sailer for its size/draft.

So long story short, I wouldn't try to talk you out of a H30/H31 that was in good shape, unless there was a C30 close by that was in better condition. Between these two boats for the purpose as outlined above, buying the one in the most pristine condition will set you miles ahead of just selecting one model over the other and limiting your search.

HTH, Good Luck and keep us informed of your progress.

·
AEOLUS II
2,938 Posts
Even though I generally prefer C to H, If the H had newer rigging or a more powerful diesel, those kind of things could sway me.

But I started looking for a C 25 and wound up with an O'day 27!!

Just goes to show!!

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Looking HERE the PHRF numbers using the ave number, not the highest or lowest ratings in the US, the C30 and H30 are similar with 177-192 numbers depending upon the rig, the H31 is about 10-15secs faster! Other 30ft boats to compare
C&C 160's
Cal 30 180's
Cape dory 220-280 slower than a dead slug going backwards! old shoe!
Coronado 192-207
Dehler 31 156
Dufour 30 165
Erickson 30 170
Farr 30 138
Frers 132
J30 140
Jeaneau Arcadia 165

So as far as 30-32' boats go, the Catalina and Hunters are on the slower end of things, if that is an issue with you!

Otherwise, for most folks needs, the Hunter and Catalina brands will do fine, choose the one that has been taken care of the best, even if a bit more money!

Marty

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I would avoid the Hunter B7R rig like the plaque. Mainly because it prevents the main from going full out and I sail downwind without a spinnaker.
I agree and it also makes moving about the decks a problem on the smaller boats at least.

That said, its not a consideration here, as the Hunter models being discussed predate the use of the B&R rig.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts