SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to buy a boat that is at least 40 feet minimum up to about 60 feet. What I am asking the community is their advice and experience with either a Monohull or a Catamaran. I am more inclined to buy a cat than the monohull because comfort is key and I do not like the way a monohull leans. But maybe I am overlooking the advantages of the other.

·
Master Mariner
8,380 Posts
I'd search this site on this subject. It's been done to death.

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
Seriously there's a mismatch

I am a 67 year old woman, with no sailing experience
who wants to buy a 60 foot catamaran..

Have you been sailing on a boat? Have you done a class yet?

Do some and you will probably answer the question yourself.

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
I am getting ready to buy a boat that is at least 40 feet minimum up to about 60 feet. What I am asking the community is their advice and experience with either a Monohull or a Catamaran. I am more inclined to buy a cat than the monohull because comfort is key and I do not like the way a monohull leans. But maybe I am overlooking the advantages of the other.
If you don't like the way a mono leans then you definitely shouldn't buy a mono. I've always sailed and raced monos, and my next boat will be a cat.

Since you don't have much experience, go charter some cats on a few trips in the Carib or Med and get a feel before you dump a lot of money.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
To Markofsealife...I have been doing some sailing ever since I posted that thread a long time ago so stop being so negative. Your comments are not appreciated and they never were even when I posted that thread. You seem to think you know it all on this site.
I have been on both kind of boats and like them both.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,188 Posts

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Depends a lot on your budget for the boat and the storage/ up keep. Florida is a great place for a CAT but they are expensive. you can buy more boat in a mono for the same price. Cats require a lot more dock space, more expensive haul outs and in the larger sizes have two engines to maintain. the sail systems are a bit more complex as they are mostly more automatic and easy to set the sails but this can be more to maintain. you can have an automatic mono but many more of them have less complicated sail systems.
Large Cats have standing head room but you can get the same headroom in a mono in a much smaller size. You are in Florida. there should be many cats to go see that would fit your budget. her on the west coast the decision is made a bit easier by the fact that even if you can afford the three times the price per foot price tag and the three times the price to dock a CAT, there is a ten year wait list to get a space.
Good luck in your search

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Day 1...i would like to go flying.
1 year later....i want to buy a C130 or 757.

Try to understand.

take above advice and do some charters.
looks like you want a life-change.
learn more..dont get rooked because you dunno...see where it leads.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am intending on living on this boat and that has been my goal all along. That is why I have been blue water sailing since the first month I originally posted my thread that I wanted to learn more about blue water sailing. I lived in the bay are of SF my whole life and sailed on many boats there but not as a crew member, more as a guest. I just came off my third blue water sailing adventure as a newbie crew member and have learned a lot. I like many things about a monohull and many things about a cat. I have the money to buy either one and will do that once I make the decision. I will hire experienced crew that work the boat with me when that time comes. Yes there are many threads on this topic, but this discussion is for 2018, not 2010. Much has changed in the cat world that I would like to know about from the perspective of others who are sailing new cats.

·
Freedom isn't free
2,949 Posts
Lemme take a stab at this...
Which is the best computer to buy? I like to draw, and I've seen photoshop used.

Which is the best car to buy, I rode in a Rolls Royce and I'd like something with luxury... Which should I get a Sedan or a Coupe?

Which is the best house to buy? A Ranch or colonial? I want to own a farm and I spent summers baling hay.

I'm really NOT trying to be snipy, but instead trying to put context to the question...

How about we start with where you are going to sail? How many will typically be aboard? How many will be permanent crew? Or are you going to try to single hand it? Bluewater cruising in a large target. Are you crossing oceans? Seas? Or just coastal bumping? Just the Carrib?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I should just close this thread. There are obviously some really nasty hateful arrogant people on this site. I would not recommend this site to my worst enemy. Most of the comments have been nothing but stabs at me for asking the question. Over and out on this thread forever.

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
LG it’s a reasonable question but best answered by understanding how you intend to use the boat, how deep your pockets are, how many people will occupy the boat and if you will have full time paid or other crew aboard. The people here are generally quite nice and supportive. I’m sorry their concern was perceived as not helpful.
Personally have been looking at this question my self. But given my boat is sailed as a couple mostly or as one and we tend to do two long ocean passages per year will stay as a mono for now. Please respond if you wish to understand my (and others) thinking on this topic.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
I think I should just close this thread. There are obviously some really nasty hateful arrogant people on this site. I would not recommend this site to my worst enemy. Most of the comments have been nothing but stabs at me for asking the question. Over and out on this thread forever.

Who's being negative? They are only asking that you do the reading before demanding the Cliff's Notes. Then they will answer any more specific question you have at great length. For example, if you asked "do cruising cats really tack so badly that I need to back the jib?" you would get dozens of answers on each side. But asking which is better is a riddle with no useful answer.

·
Registered
919 Posts
There is not another person alive who can answer a question concerning your personal preferences, you must do that yourself. But, if you do not feel comfortable on a boat that heels you should not consider anything except a cat. Now the question to move on to is "How big a boat do I need for myself, my?, my other ?, and my 4 man crew and what amenities do I need for an ocean crossing? Good luck!

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,498 Posts
She's going to be a joy to crew for.

·
Unhinged and Fluid
26 Posts
She's going to be a joy to crew for.
man if she thinks this is hateful...should see some of the off road forums i'm apart of. People get torn to pieces for asking such open ended and vague questions like that (should I SAS my truck, should I get long travel or a solid front axle, do I need lockers and a crawl box). And the answer is always the same...if you have to ask you aren't ready. If you're going to spend the serious coin on a SIXTY FOOT boat, your first question probably should not be what kind of boat do I get. People on a forum can't tell you that without a lot of personal details and plans to compare them to their own experience. Where and how you're planning on sailing, your comfort level, your own preferences, number of people on board, length of passages should be the determining factors.

·
Master Mariner
8,380 Posts
I will hire experienced crew that work the boat with me when that time comes.
Have you considered that living with a few crew members on a boat as small as 60- feet may not be a very fun way to go sailing? Dealing with their personalities, individual needs and preferences and the fact you will never have any real privacy on your own boat, is not something most liveaboards would enjoy.
As a professional yacht crew for much of my career, with owners rarely being aboard for more than a few weeks, several times a year, I can assure you that as a full time liveaboard owner you are not going to easily find a crew you want to live with 24/7/365.
Down size your dreams to a boat you can manage alone or with one "friend"/ partner and I think you'll have a much more pleasant experience.

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Well it's nice to see the "kinder, gentler side of SN" play out in threads I'm not actively involved in. And here I thought I was the problem.

Heh-heh.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Hard to imagine what sort of "advice" the OP expects. Few have extensive experience with both cats and monos... And many have emotional attachment to the type of boat. And of course how does OP intend to use the boat? Live aboard distance cruising? Part time use from his home port? How many does he plan to have aboard? How many crew will be need to operate either boat.

I suggest OP sail several monos of the size he wants... and several cats and make his own decision.

Good luck!

·
Master Mariner
8,380 Posts
Hard to imagine what sort of "advice" the OP expects. Few have extensive experience with both cats and monos... And many have emotional attachment to the type of boat. And of course how does OP intend to use the boat? Live aboard distance cruising? Part time use from his home port? How many does he plan to have aboard? How many crew will be need to operate either boat.

I suggest OP sail several monos of the size he wants... and several cats and make his own decision.

Good luck!
From what I gather, the OP is a 67 year old woman with little or no actual sailing experience.
Any first time boat buyer looking @ a 60' cat for ocean cruising needs a pretty damn big bank roll and a good dose of reality check, IMO. But she seems to have the former if she's going to hire a full time crew. That's a cool quarter mil plus, right up front every year!
Anyway, it seems she's taken her ball and gone home 'cause "some really nasty hateful arrogant people" aren't saying what she wanted to hear.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts