SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
3,129 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can not help it, these cats just look weird to me. The boom is sooo high, but the fore stay is about normal. I keep thinking these are not fractional rigs, the mast was just extended to get enough main sail area. I guess the height of the boom attests to their roll resistance.

When I look at a Chris White cat it looks really neat, and like a boat. Ditto Outreamers, so I am not against cats in general.

Any way this particular model, and others of the same ilk, strike me as just wrong.

3 of them came in and anchored next to us. Kinda lock a flock, all identical. I guess they are charters hanging together.
Water Cloud Sky Boat Watercraft

· Registered
Legend 37.5
343 Posts
Reaction score
I noted that in the ads for the new 55 and 60 footers. What if you have to get that main down manually?

But have you seen the SPACE inside? You don’t have to sell your VW before cruising, you put it below with the complete cookware set,Xbox, and 75” TV. If you’re like me you have 40 years of everything, and it’s taking forever to sell it. With one of these 55’we just take it all with us- well, except the iceboats.

· Registered
130 Posts
Reaction score
Like you I admire an attractive boat and I have to say that is not one. :)
I can not help it, these cats just look weird to me. The boom is sooo high, but the fore stay is about normal. I keep thinking these are not fractional rigs, the mast was just extended to get enough main sail area. I guess the height of the boom attests to their roll resistance.

When I look at a Chris White cat it looks really neat, and like a boat. Ditto Outreamers, so I am not against cats in general.

Any way this particular model, and others of the same ilk, strike me as just wrong.

3 of them came in and anchored next to us. Kinda lock a flock, all identical. I guess they are charters hanging together.
View attachment 146162

· SailNet Captain of the Month
6,092 Posts
Reaction score
It's a purpose-built charter boat. Catana can't make them fast enough. Go inside one and you will find full-sized household refrigerators and freezers, A/C 24/7 in every individual space, etc. They don't sail well, but sailing isn't their primary function.

It's no different than monohulls back in the 80's when chartering was taking off and boats like Irwins and Morgan OI's couldn't be built fast enough. They don't look like "boats" either, but you can't argue with success. Probably sold more OI's in a decade than all Oyster models combined throughout the years.

None of these are/were indicative of the state of boat building - only of the market forces for the charter trade. Plenty of great sailing and good looking catamarans and monohulls being designed and sold outside of this market.

Mark

· SailNet Captain of the Month
6,092 Posts
Reaction score
Like you I admire an attractive boat and I have to say that is not one. :)
While I agree with you, attractiveness is in the eye of the beholder, and function beats form at times. If I were stuck in the depths of Northern winter and wanted to regain some sanity by spending a lazy week in the tropic seas with friends, this is a pretty functional boat for doing that IMO.

So good that they can't build them fast enough. Wouldn't want to own it, though.

Mark

· Registered
3,129 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Of the 3 identical boats 1 figured out how to turn on the anchor light.

· Registered
4,073 Posts
Reaction score
I agree, a lot of cruising cats are ugly, and look like they can't get out of their own way, but I am sure they are extremely comfortable floating condos.

Cats like this one would work for me...
Water Boat Watercraft Naval architecture Sailboat

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

· Registered
3,129 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, but it is only 2 story.
Gotta have a 3rd story penthouse to be cool.

· Registered
Contest 36s
8,279 Posts
Reaction score

View attachment 146162
ugly boat...

· Registered
7 Posts
Reaction score
I noted that in the ads for the new 55 and 60 footers. What if you have to get that main down manually?

But have you seen the SPACE inside? You don’t have to sell your VW before cruising, you put it below with the complete cookware set,Xbox, and 75” TV. If you’re like me you have 40 years of everything, and it’s taking forever to sell it. With one of these 55’we just take it all with us- well, except the iceboats.
They don't sail well with a lot of weight on board...

· Master Mariner
9,540 Posts
Reaction score
I believe what you are referring to are not sailing catamarans, but mobile hotel rooms on the water. They are pretty terrific for that, but certainly not designed for much else.
Over the 10 years I sailed the eastern Caribbean, I'd guess less than 15% actually had sails up, in the Grenadines, and of those a significant number ran the down wind engine if trying to go to weather.
Of course, there are catamarans that sail well, with an intelligently designed rig and interiors, but that is not what the Caribbean bareboat market requires today.

· Registered
9 Posts
Reaction score
You may be thinking about this the wrong way. First, don’t think of it as a sailboat, think of it as a motor cat with auxiliary sail. Add a furling code zero to the bowsprit and anything from a reach aftwards in light to moderate breeze is a fun ride. If you’re forward of a reach you have twin Yanmars and 640 liters (169 gallons) of diesel for a 1,000 mile range. For a retired couple cruising the coast and Caribbean - it’s dang near perfect.

· Registered
3,129 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hum, I see your point, maybe in a few years we will see it differently.

Only 72 and 70 now, not ready to "retire" yet.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts