SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Ct., and sail L.I. sound, to Block Island. It''s too bad I don''t see any cat''s. I started with a 28'' Islander, than went to a 41'' Hatteras MY, it was real nice but was missed sailing. So I, well a long story short... I''m now building a 46.5'' catamaran, and if there is anyone around this area with a cat., I could use some help in learning to sail one! My web page can be viewed @

http://pages.prodigy.net/dock2/photo.html

the boat is further along @ this time, I''m working on the cabinet.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi Catamaran

Sounds like an ambitious project. I am just now starting to learn about catamarans. I am chartering one in the BVI next month. I used to sail a CS 27 and have friends with monohulls. Nobody I know has gone to a cat yet. I like the idea for the obvious reasons but the one gaping concern is safety. I keep hearing that they turtle more easily than do monohulls when in heavy weather. Any comments

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check out this web page for info on cats...
www.sailingcatamarans.com

This guy designs them and safety is #1.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In reply to turtling, anything is possible with any boat. If you use common sence you can avoid getting into trouble, for the most part. The thing with cats is, they sail flat they don''t heel as to spill the heavy wind, so you need to keep an eye on your sail''s and your wind inst., also take care on crossing the waves. As I understand the the problem is when someone gets cough up with the speed when surffing the waves. This could cause the bows to dig into the next wave, this could be a problem! So don''t do it. Cat''s are very safe and alot of fun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts