SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I am new to sailing, I was reading " My First Sailboat: How to Find and Sail the Right Boat for you" by Daniel Spurr.(a very informative book) When the author talks about catamarans, he states that catamarans can be " snappy" in choppy waters. I know Long Island can have some choppy waters at times. Can anyone tell me what exactly "snappy" would mean, and would anyone recomend or discourage sailing a catamaran in Long Island waters. I am new to sailing and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'll also take any advice on sailing schools on Long Island:confused:

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I guess he means fast

And it would depend on how big you want ,trailer and 18'(wet) or a big cat left in the water (big dollars)

On small it works out better on the south shore because the state ramps have equal access to the water ON the North shore it is all controlled buy each TOWN and the ramps are so far from the sailing area it is a PITA

·
Registered
372 Posts
He's talking about the tendency to hobby horse, or a tendency to bounce fore-aft faster than a similar size monohull. With less ballast a typical cat will be more affected (generate more motion) in smaller waves. If you go watch some videos of ocean going cats you can see they tend to bounce a little faster. It's a tradeoff though since you have much less side to side motion.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank You for your replies,

I have the dream of sailing the eastern coast and just wondering what everyone thinks. I live on the south shore of Long Island, but I also have family on the north shore ( Southold ) I have sometime before I retire and fullfilling my dream of sailing the eastern coast.

If money was not an issue ( and no I am not wealthy!) Would you recomend a monohull over the multihull for the NY area.

·
moderate?
996 Posts
Suggest a monohull. If you dream of east coast sailing...probably a good idea to keep keep depth at 5.5ft. or less and mast height at 64 or less for the ICW. Light Long Island summer winds argue in favor of a light, easily powered hull rather than a heavily built offshore cruiser. This does not mean POORLY built...just using modern construction techniques and not getting an over built boat for conditions you will never see.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Thank You for your replies,

I have the dream of sailing the eastern coast and just wondering what everyone thinks. I live on the south shore of Long Island, but I also have family on the north shore ( Southold ) I have sometime before I retire and fullfilling my dream of sailing the eastern coast.

If money was not an issue ( and no I am not wealthy!) Would you recomend a monohull over the multihull for the NY area.
I agree. A monohull would be better. Unless you are trailering, a multihull usually involves more work for the yard (higher cost). Dockage might also be higher.
With the economy slowing down, there are plenty of monohulls around for sale, that can be bought at a good price. I think it will be cheaper in many ways to purchase and own a mono.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
One thought...in an area where slips are in short supply... boats that don't fit in standard slips and need T-heads are really difficult and perhaps also will pay a premium for dockage. Check out your local situation before you buy a beamy cat. (or choose a skinny cat!)
There are 5 gemini's on LI that I know of, skinny cats rock!

Search youtube for the video's made by Starrider.

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
He's probably talking about the fact that multihulls have a quicker motion than most monohulls, since they don't have the inertia a monohull with the big lead weight has. :)

Cam's suggestions of a shoal draft and easily driven boat describe catamarans well too. :)
Since I am new to sailing, I was reading " My First Sailboat: How to Find and Sail the Right Boat for you" by Daniel Spurr.(a very informative book) When the author talks about catamarans, he states that catamarans can be " snappy" in choppy waters. I know Long Island can have some choppy waters at times. Can anyone tell me what exactly "snappy" would mean, and would anyone recomend or discourage sailing a catamaran in Long Island waters. I am new to sailing and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,238 Posts
If I lived on the South Shore (eg., Great South Bay) I would seriously consider a multihulled sailboat as the water can be pretty skinny there and the wind tends to be better in the summer season. You can't beat their speed and stability on flatter water with a monohull - Chuckles & the Dog will attest to that.
That said, I have seen LI Sound so whipped up that even a 50' mono hull's motion could be described as 'snappy' when the swells are running 6' and close together in 40+ knot wind. In weather like this I would only want to be on a big mono hull or safely on shore. Of course a huge multi huller would be pretty stable too but would not be an entry level boat due to cost.
Good luck with your research.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Catamaran on LIS

I have done a fair amount of research on this. I sail out of CT, and I used to keep my boat in Sag Harbor. I wanted to get a more cruising friendly boat, but my town limits boats on town moorings to 36'. My wife wanted more amenities - she never wants to see another marina bathroom again!

We also want to do some cruising with our twin daughters (8 years old). No question there are advantages and disadvantages for both monohulls and catamarans, but I've decided to switch to a catamaran. I think you will find that on most nasty days, you are probably not going to want to go out sailing any way.

The transient dock issue will be something to consider. However, with the self-contained boat, and shallow draft, I expect to do a fair amount of anchoring and mooring. The davits on the boat allow me to carry a better dinghy for the trips to shore.

I would also agree that for your current location, a catamaran would be better. The shallow depths of the south shore of LI really argue for the shallow drafts of a cat.

I would be happy to discuss with you further if you want to send me a PM.

Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts