SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
‘77 Pearson 10m
418 Posts
Sorry to hear about your lost drone(s). My DJI Mini 2 and the Mavic 2 operate on either 2.4 or 5.8 GHz and is selectable. I don’t know if the B&G wireless wind operates in either of these bands, but if it does, select the other one for the drone. I would test this theory at the dock to see if you could a) reproduce the problem and b) resolve it with this change.
Good luck.

·
Registered
‘77 Pearson 10m
418 Posts
I'm not claiming in any way that you're wrong, but if you're right, someone's (B&G or DJI) is probably violating FCC rules, or has managed to spectacularly mess up their wireless implementation.
I know that every time I start using a wireless device, I have to slog through the disclaimer about accepting unwanted interference with other wireless or communication devices. If B&G operates on 2.4 GHz only, it would suggest trying the drone on 5.8 GHz would be a good first step. I doubt there is anything you can do about shifting the B&G band to some other part of the 2.4 band.

·
Registered
‘77 Pearson 10m
418 Posts
Another feature in the Go Fly app, and probably somewhere in other brand’s controller app, is an interference detector that allows you to see high interference bands and set your transmission band to avoid them. This would confirm other interference too
Rectangle Font Line Window Slope

·
Registered
‘77 Pearson 10m
418 Posts
Relaying my current experience with the “DJI Refresh” service. Basically it’s an insurance plan with a $49 premium (at least for the Mini 2), 1 year of coverage for 2 damage claims including 1 “Flyaway” claim. The deductible for Flyaway is $225 and damage only claim is $49 for 1st and $59 for the 2nd claim.
I just put in my claim for “flyaway” and am awaiting the quote for coverage replacement. The harsh reality of this is when I got the data analysis report on the flight. It showed all the facts as I recall them, launching from a moving platform, which they call “improper flight environment “and the recommendation not to take off from an unstable platform. The rest of the flight parameters showed what I remember, a painfully short flight right onto the foredeck and collision with the standing rigging before bouncing off the deck and through my desperate hands and into the Chesapeake to be with what must be hundreds of other drones.

Bottom line is they are covering the loss even though this qualifies as a user flight control error (PICNIC-Problem In Captain Not In Computer) and not a drone malfunction or interference.

·
Registered
‘77 Pearson 10m
418 Posts
Not claiming to be an expert, I'm just unfortunate enough to have already learned some hard lessons early. I just recommend practice a LOT, slowly integrating more complex aspects of flying off a boat and shooting videos.
As for which drones to buy, starting relatively cheap makes sense, but cheaper sometimes means fewer features that can keep you out of trouble. Collision avoidance is a mid level feature, although it may not prevent crashing into rigging but may prevent running into sails or the water. Insurance is also a good idea, one that will replace a drone lost in the water, but it's kinda pricey, deductible wise.

Despite my losses, i'm still a huge fan of what drone photography offers sailors.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts