1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Liberty 38
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Water Boat Watercraft Naval architecture Vehicle

I lost a second drone last week.

I've been flying and building RC planes, helicopters and drones for many years.

I crashed a DJI Mavic Air 2S last year into the headsail and it hit the deck and then bounced into deep water.

I had fly-away insurance. DJI said there was no indication that the drone did not follow instructions and didn't cover the loss. It flew to the boat, stopped and then just got a mind of its own and flew in a crazy pattern and then zoomed forward into the sail and crashed.

I waited almost a year and decided to buy another DJI Mavic Air 2S. It arrived a month or so ago and I tested it in Stuart, FL at the marina and it was great. Everything worked.

I launched it in the Atlantic last week in light winds and 2.5k SOG and took 15 minutes of video and photos. I was sitting in the chair behind the wheel. At one point I noticed my B&G MTD was not displaying any wind information. I didn't think anything about it except that it was odd there was no wind info since that always had worked before. A minute or so later it came on and everything was back to normal.

I stood and walked to the port lifeline gate next to the cockpit and brought the drone in to catch it like I always do. It flew to me fine. About 15 feet from the boat it stopped. Things started to get weird and if I pushed left it would go up, down, it would go another direction. Finally I turned off all of the safety settings, put it in Sport mode and flew it back a little and it started working fine. I brought it back towards me and at that same point about 2 feet higher than my head and about 15 feet from the boat it stopped coming towards me and turned and flew across the stern of the boat and hit the radar post and flopped into the water.

I just sat down on the cockpit coming and just happened to glance at the B&G chartplotter. The wind was not showing and then almost instantly it came back on.

I have no proof of the connection, but the evidence points to the B&G wireless wind signal crossing with the DJI signal and causing the problems. The receiver for the B&G is on the port side, just aft of where I was trying to land. I would have been standing in a direct path between it and the top of the mast. This has never happened when I was landing on the foredeck or on the starboard side.

Anyway, take that for what it is and if you have a B&G wireless wind receiver on deck and you fly a DJI drone, I'd suggest landing the drone on the other side of the boat or as far away from the receiver as you can get or just turn off the wind instruments for a while during your flight.

·
Registered
1987 Liberty 38
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry to hear about your lost drone(s). My DJI Mini 2 and the Mavic 2 operate on either 2.4 or 5.8 GHz and is selectable. I don’t know if the B&G wireless wind operates in either of these bands, but if it does, select the other one for the drone. I would test this theory at the dock to see if you could a) reproduce the problem and b) resolve it with this change.
Good luck.
I did not know that. I will check next time for drone #3.

·
Registered
1987 Liberty 38
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know that every time I start using a wireless device, I have to slog through the disclaimer about accepting unwanted interference with other wireless or communication devices. If B&G operates on 2.4 GHz only, it would suggest trying the drone on 5.8 GHz would be a good first step. I doubt there is anything you can do about shifting the B&G band to some other part of the 2.4 band.
If I buy another one from DJI I’ll do that. I have the smart controller already so most likely I’ll give it another go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts