SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I removed my sails yesterday (getting ready to unstep the mast) and had to remove the battens from the mainsail. As I was pulling the first one out of the pocket, I had pain in my hands like razor blades. So I was carefull not to "slide" them through my hands after that. About the 4th batten, I put on a pair of gloves. So... if any of you didn't know battens are fiberglass, or aren't sure what their made of, BE CAREFULL. I'm nursing "prickly" hands today. :eek:

Dave

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Hi All,

I removed my sails yesterday (getting ready to unstep the mast) and had to remove the battens from the mainsail. As I was pulling the first one out of the pocket, I had pain in my hands like razor blades. So I was carefull not to "slide" them through my hands after that. About the 4th batten, I put on a pair of gloves. So... if any of you didn't know battens are fiberglass, or aren't sure what their made of, BE CAREFULL. I'm nursing "prickly" hands today. :eek:

Dave
One of mine is cracked down the middle and it did the same thing to me...

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Fiberglass will do that to you. I have a couple of fiberglass windsurfing masts and hate handling them with bare hands. These fibers can penetrate very deep and there is no way to pull them out.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Either use gloves or be very careful not to let the batten slide in your hand. Those fiberglass splinters are worse than a regular cut.

We have this fiberglass line holder on the dock that is the same material.

Hi All,

Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.