SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi every1 I have purchased a volvo penta md7 engine to go into my 23ft seamaster, the only issue I can tell that needs addressing is the stop lever on the cav pump is seized, I'd like to think I can have a go at most things if pointed in the right direction but the word timing scares the life out of me. Would anyone have any experience or advice about removing the cav pump and possibly rebuilding myself, I have watched a few videos on this but the removing of the pump has always been on tractors etc, Or do I leave it to a professional who is probably going to charge me more than what I paid for the engine? Any advice greatly appreciated thanks lads.

·
Master Mariner
8,253 Posts
I don't know what it says in the Volvo service manual, but in the Perkins one it says in BIG BOLD PRINT that "this part is not owner serviceable! There are all kinds of tiny breakable parts inside that pump, plus o-rings and seals. I know. Mine wouldn't work because of the tiniest bit of grit, just the sort of grit that might fall into it while working to loosen the stop lever!

Take it to an authorized service center and have it done correctly and you could save yourself the price of a new one or a failure when you need the engine most.

Reactions: CVAT

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
The fuel shut-off mechanism is likely just to have siezed. You should not have to dismantle the injection pump per se in order to free it.
Take the cover off to expose the fuel shut-off mechanism. It may respond to some lubricant.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The cover which holds the shut off lever and the throttle lever is sealed with a gasket. It also loosely pins the shut off lever bar between the lever pin and the metering valve. It is very likely that the metering valve is also seized but because it is linked to he lever via springs, it's not immediately noticeable. It takes some experience to reassemble it while collecting the bar with the lever pin, and it also takes some skill to make sure the min/max springs are in place while you are assembling it. The seizure is almost surely a fuel contamination issue and your removing the cover would not help you any. If you want confirm the contamination in passive manner, remove the timing plate on the side of the pump (2 screws). You can look in and confirm the contamination without risking the current state of the pump, and then you'll know if it has to come off to be rebuilt.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts