SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering purchasing a CDI FF9 furler for my Islander 36.

Would appreciate any experience/comments on this furler for a boat with a +/- 47'' headstay measurement.

Also, looking at pictures, this furler apparently has a built in halyard contained within the extrusion. How does this work with the typical existing halyard. i.e. typical halyards pull the head of the sail up while this one appears to require a downward pull to raise/tension the sail/luff.

How do you control the sail luff tension for various sailing conditions?

Jim

·
Registered
20 Posts
I wouldn''t reccomend a CDI furler over just about anything. From what I''ve seen they''re just not designed well. Schaeffer has one of the best systems on the market right now(in my opinion).

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bummer about the FF9 is that it has to ship in one piece. In your case 47''
Great units for smaller boats but for your boat. Schaeffer,Pro-furl,Harken, even the new Hood Sefurl is a decent unit, in my opinion.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bummer about the FF9 is that it has to ship in one piece. In your case 47''
Great units for smaller boats but for your boat. Schaeffer,Pro-furl,Harken, even the new Hood Sefurl is a decent unit, in my opinion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a CDI furler on a Hunter 30 and, by coincidence, it had a 47'' luff. It was fine. Its indestructible, easy to install, zero maintenance and cheap. I used it hard for 6 years and it did not fail. I wish that was true for everything I bought for my boat.

It ships in a coil and all lengths are about the same size package. It uses its own internal halyard that comes with it that raises the sail up the extrusion. The tack is tensioned to a fitting at the drum to provide luff tension and is not readily adjusted underway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts