SailNet Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions for a good cell phone carrier for the area of Penobscot Bay? We currently have T Mobile, but coverage is really poor. We get reception with T Mobile in the bigger towns, but on the islands coverage is almost non-existing. Alternately, are there any ways of boosting the cell signal? Thanks!

·
Registered
21,812 Posts
This is very weird. Your thread has a blue background, not the typical red.

Anyway, I've cruised Maine (twice in Penobscot) and have Verizon. Always spotty.

You can put a cell antenna on top of your mast, but I'm not the tech guy that knows how that works.

edit: and I can't get back to the main forum. I will have to close this window and start over.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure why the background is blue, but this seems to be the old interface - ah, the mysteries of software...

I heard AT&T is reasonable in Maine, but would like to hear from locals. One thing is for sure, it isn't T Mobile.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Sprint sucks up there. As we head in shore I am always the last one to get a signal, if I get one at all.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am spending the winter in the middle of the bay on North Haven. I have a Verizon phone which works quite well as a paperweight. US cellular and ATT seem a bit better but they all get surprisingly sketchy not very far out from the mainland.

·
Registered
21,812 Posts
I am spending the winter in the middle of the bay on North Haven. I have a Verizon phone which works quite well as a paperweight.......
This is consistent with the Verizon coverage map. You have to scroll down to the middle of the page and zoom in. There are huge holes in coverage out on the island and up through Eggemoggin Reach that must be caused by terrain. Very hit and miss.

However, the more populated west shore of Penobscot has excellent coverage. This was my experience, when cruising there.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/featured/better-matters/?map=4glte#maps

Interestingly, AT&T has better coverage on the islands and even more spotty on the mainland. Be sure to toggle between voice and data on this one. Voice, you can still roam in some places, but data is out.

https://www.att.com/maps/wireless-coverage.html

As is usually the case, with these analysis, one carrier can always be better for a single location, due to tower placement and terrain. Verizon typically wins, if you're moving around a lot.

The OP should look at the maps to figure out where they will mostly likely be located on the Bay, if they're not moving around much.

Reactions: jvlassak

·
Registered
962 Posts
We live on the western shore and have Verizon. The signal performance has improved quite a bit over the last several years.

Usually, out on the bay in the clear, we get a strong signal anywhere. I check online weather buoy data and get a strong signal in most of the western bay.

There are still spots of little coverage in the islands, mostly a few anchorages. Text sometimes is the best then as it will send, eventually.

·
Ranger 29
9 Posts
I cruise out of Northport, usually with my son. He has verizon and I have e AT&T, I get better coverage out on the bay and especially farther east, on land Verizon is better than AT&T.
Though AT&T coverage improved around BElfast two years ago with new towers.

·
Super Moderator
6,759 Posts
Verizon is the best bet for coverage along the entire Maine Coast. I have both an AT&T and a Verizon phone, they are often side by side when cruising the Maine coast. AT&T often has zero coverage and with Verizon I am almost always better off... My Wife had a US Cellular work phone up until late last summer and it too was horrible. Her company is now on Verizon. There are still plenty of holes however and no cell coverage will get it all, especially in Pen Bay. Still, if I had to bring one phone to Pen Bay it would be the one on Verizon hands down.

Oh and the Verizon and AT&T "coverage maps" along the Maine Coast are nothing but a cruel joke....

This map shows our neighborhood..

Verizon has done numerous site surveys in this neighborhood, their regional sales manager used to live two houses away from us and had zero coverage, and they know damn well there is ZERO COVERAGE here due to the hill we are on. This map is the epitome of a joke.. This is why I also have an AT&T cell phone because the AT&T tower is on an island across the cove from us and we have great coverage from that AT&T tower. Verizon works great most everywhere else and AT&T sucks but at home my Verizon phone is a joke and their map is a flat out lie. Please, please please do not trust the Verizon "coverage maps". They are about as honest as Volkswagen emission claims...

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, Maine, we may have to give Verizon a try. We'll be spending much time around Vinalhaven - any idea what the coverage is like over there?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I cruise Vinalhaven area every summer. The Verizon coverage is spotty to non-existent. Same with all the Islands in that area. I use a lot of text there since it works eventually. Hurricane Sound is outstanding for cruising. Visit Swans Island, Stonington, Merchants Row, and all the other Islands nearby. Beautiful area.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts