SailNet Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Center Cockpit boat most have the aft cabin where you can walk thru from down below, but ive seen some with them separate ones where you have to go thru the cockpit and there self contained, whats the pros and cons of them, besides the weather with the way the hatch is,

·
Registered
8,473 Posts
pros of a "walkover" aft cabin (accessible from cockpit only) is the complete separation from the rest of the boat. the con is the complete separation from the rest of the boat- if you want ot use the head you have to open a hatch, climb into the cockpit, around th e wheel, open another hatch, and go below.
the biggest pro is that it allows the cockpit to be lower in the hull of the boat. with no need for a tunnel under the cockpit seating to access from main cabin to aft cabin, there is a lower center of gravity and more shelter making the ride arguably more comfortable.
Compare this, an S2 30' walkthrough CC:

to this, a 32' Macwester wight walk-over CC:

·
Living the dream
350 Posts
As BJ said. A non walk-through will, generally speaking when compared to a walk-through design, have a lower cockpit, higher combings and potentially more outside storage lockers (under the cockpit seats). The length of the cockpit may be somewhat shorter, however.

I have a 33' walk-through CC and find the internal space and layout fantastic. The high cockpit doesn't worry me too much, but I'm not fond of the shallow combings especially when either the sea starts to get a bit frisky or I want to lay back and enjoy a beer after reaching the anchorage!

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,016 Posts
I believe some of the bigger boats have separate heads in the aft cabin, making it more like a suite and obviating the need to go forward (or through the cockpit) to get to the head. Even just having a sink back there is a nice touch; nice to be able to brush your teeth in the morning, or wash your face.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,300 Posts
Nobody's mentioned the honkin' big engine rooms most CC's have.

·
Old soul
5,177 Posts
My former boat was a 34' CC ketch (Grampian 34), with a separate aft cabin. We had to walk through the cockpit. I suppose the major advantage was the huge storage space that wasn't taken up with a walk-through hall. As others have said, this arrangement also meant the cockpit did not have to be elevated.

Our boat came with an head in the aft cabin, but it was marginal so I removed it. While it was a bit of pain in the butt to have to go through the cockpit to get to the head, it really wasn't a big deal. It's a 34-foot boat, after all. At most, I had to walk 20 feet!

I'd want a walk-through on a larger boat, but on one this size, it would have meant a tremendous loss of storage space. I loved our completely separate aft cabin. It's the one thing I really miss compared to our larger 37' aft-cockpit cutter.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,300 Posts
I'll bet you don't miss that Grampians looks much. ;)

Pretty low row away factor on that one.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,300 Posts
CSY 44 was available as either. I think the walk thrus are much sought after.
But the walk over was much better looking.

·
Picnic Sailor
Moody 425
2,181 Posts
We have a 35ft Walk through Martzcraft centre cockpit.

Height of the cockpit doesn't worry me too much. The engine access is good, and the aft cabin is better than anything I found on much much bigger boats.

I like the look of our boat, other centre cockpits do look a little well odd, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Sure others will not fancy my boat either.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,300 Posts
That's an interesting boat - drawn from a version of the Roberts 35 which was itself, originally, a knockoff of the Coronado 35.

I checked out a Roberts years ago - the flush deck knockoff of the Coronado - it was pretty blatant plagiarism - the reverse transom was just about the only difference.

I'm one of those odd people who actually like the Coronado 35 & 41 - great liveaboards and I even think the 41 is good looking.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts