SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Barquito
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In another thread someone was talking about filtering fuel before it gets into the tank. Made me wonder if there was a DIY way of separating fuel from water quickly before it goes into the tank. Maybe a centrifuge?

·
Master Mariner
9,004 Posts
These days all larger commercial vessels use centrifugal water separators for filtering their fuel and bilge water. They are readily available but aren't cheap.
I really don't understand why you feel the need for something like this, as most marinas in North America only disperse well filtered fuel and even down here in the West Indies it's a pretty rare thing to get contaminated fuel. If you are getting a lot of water in your fuel, perhaps you should be looking at your system and not where you are getting your fuel.

·
3,506 Posts
These days all larger commercial vessels use centrifugal water separators for filtering their fuel and bilge water. They are readily available but aren't cheap.
I really don't understand why you feel the need for something like this, as most marinas in North America only disperse well filtered fuel and even down here in the West Indies it's a pretty rare thing to get contaminated fuel. If you are getting a lot of water in your fuel, perhaps you should be looking at your system and not where you are getting your fuel.
Maybe check the rubber "O" ring on your deck fill cap once in awhile. A little silicone grease helps keep them supple to.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Being a full time liveaboard in the northeast- with the cold winters, I get a bit of water in my fuel tank. This past summer I built a fuel-polishing system - have to look for a photos. Use a Racor 500g, Walbro pump. the first thing the fuel goes through is a solids/water separator.

Use this one- Diesel Bio Diesel Pre Filter Water Particulate Trap Sedimenter with Drain | eBay

When I first used it- I filled the bowl with gummed up algae and water Twice- before it got to my Racor. Works great!

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Being a full time liveaboard in the northeast- with the cold winters, I get a bit of water in my fuel tank. This past summer I built a fuel-polishing system - have to look for a photos. Use a Racor 500g, Walbro pump. the first thing the fuel goes through is a solids/water separator.

Use this one- Diesel Bio Diesel Pre Filter Water Particulate Trap Sedimenter with Drain | eBay

When I first used it- I filled the bowl with gummed up algae and water Twice- before it got to my Racor. Works great!
Once you gravity 'drop' the visible water, consider to occasionally use a 100% CELLULOSE filter 'loaded' with the 'starch' hydroxymethylcellulose (the stuff used as a 'dehydrant' in baby diapers) ... will remove the emulsified and molecular water that migrates into the tankage from the tank vent to VERY low levels - most ethical fuel filter manufacturers sell them. Best to use the water absorbing methods in the spring and before the boat's engine becomes 'active'.

·
3,506 Posts
Once you gravity 'drop' the visible water, consider to occasionally use a 100% CELLULOSE filter 'loaded' with the 'starch' hydroxymethylcellulose (the stuff used as a 'dehydrant' in baby diapers) ... will remove the emulsified and molecular water that migrates into the tankage from the tank vent to VERY low levels - most ethical fuel filter manufacturers sell them. Best to use the water absorbing methods in the spring and before the boat's engine becomes 'active'.

Rich,

which commercially available filters for the racor 500 series fit your description above?

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Heres the water absorbing offerings from Racor: Parker - WATER ABSORBING ELEMENTS
Unfortunately, since the cartridge for the 500MA is of such a special proprietary configuration/dimensions, no manufacturer including Racor, offers a water absorbing filter cartridge for the relatively small 500.
That exclusivity of dimensions also excludes the interchange by other manufactures on even 'simple' particulate filter cartridges.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
^^ I notice that there are bulk SAP products out there based upon socks (water wick and others--Google absorb water diesel) that hang in the tank. I always wondered if there was some chance of the powder coming loose and causing serious mischief, seems that the motion could damage them. And of course, suspending them in a boat tank is not generally practical. And draining water or polishing make more sense. But I'm always curious.

Experiences?

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Such are quite common for de-watering of molecular and emulsified water in technical oils.
The typical 'non-resinated' cellulose filter material used will, by itself, help to absorb water, but, eventually the cellulose will begin to 'digest' hence begin to 'particulate'. The typical starch used for water absorption is the same as used in baby diapers; it adheres to the cellulose fibers in the filter material quite well and for most laminar flow conditions does not 'release'.
The typical 'hydroxymethylcellulose' starch used increases water absorption by a factor of 10-20X on a weight for weight basis ... if 'sized' and flow-controlled correctly will result in a residual water concentration of ~5PPMw.

There are also liquid-liquid coalescing (filter) materials that 'shed' water .. thereby diverting water in one direction and allowing the 'oil' to flow out in another direction - liquid-liquid separation.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Thats just 'filter' with a gravity sump on the inlet for water entrapment - a 'knock out pot'.

Any empty filter housing with 'bowl - down' (and drain) will do the same.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts