SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,

Assuming on is an adult and knows how to sail and knows all the rules and reg, but doesn't have an actual International Certificate of Competence such as Yachtmaster, does it matter when sailing around the world on your own boat?

Has anyone encountered a situation when arriving in a new port/ or country, the authorities demanded to see additionally to passport, ships papers and so forth a Yachtmaster or similar competence certificate?

Any insight hugely appreciated!
JP

· Registered
18 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey guys, thanks a lot for all the info. I found that the best way to go is to get an ICC, which is easilly obtainable.

I agree with all that getting a proper RYA Yachtmaster (or Ocean Yachtmaster as I have) is the key to better sailing. I have sailed on the East Coast of the US only a bit so far and am shocked at the limited knowledge and seamanship of people here who have large boats and not much experience. In England where I live (Isle of Wight) people seem to have more "basic" knowledge. I may be wrong of course and I should not put my judgement early on a few outings.

But whatever you do, getting a proper sailing course is key. It makes you a better sailor.

The one Issue I am facing now is the US Reg vs. Documentation. As a foreigner that is an issue. Reg seems to work fine everywhere except in the Pacific where the French islands seem to have problems. Having a French passport I may get around the problem by "talking my way through it" but it is a risk. Anyone encountered any problems so far?

JP

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.