SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey dudes, found out what autopilot I had on this my islander 36 never ending project boat

anywhoo I have a below decks chain driven autopilot to the quadrant I love the design and how its mounted as it looks massivleky strong:

pics:

and

however 2 issues

1. Im not familiar with this autopilot and havent tested if it works or not(still doing electrical on the boat which is a nightmare!
2. the course setter has been sun degraded very badly

there is a gyroscope Im assuming or compass off to port away from the motor that is in great condition...

so my question is can anyone recognize this model and if so any input on how to test it?

My intuition is to se if the motor drive works first since that should be easy to find out at any electrical motor shop...but how would one go about fixing the course setter?

just get a new one?:)

thanks
christian

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
course setter model pic

off to google and some searching for me!

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
allright doing some investigation

seems the drives on these things are bulletproof and if Im lucky and mine is the upgraded nmea version I can use a newer different brand control box and it will still work

here is a pic of the S DRIVE motor box...seems the s drive is bigger than the M drive from ebay pics

now I havent located the control box...maybe its in one of the lazarattes or mounted near the motor drive

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

if not there are a couple ebay auctions for m controllers...wonder if they will work with the s motor kit?

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ummm yeah simple enough...however nothing is hooked up and I seem to be missing the control unit...

jajaja

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
hmmm nobody? really, all new stuff on here?
The company seems to be around link: Benmar Marine
Would try to contact the for more information & documentation.

Looking at this picture...

I think I would have looked at the drive unit first.
Lube all the movable parts and get it moving.

Without knowing the system I would think that the drive unit has two power cables (+/-) and that the control box will reverse polarity to change direction.

So to verify that the drive unit is working you can connect it temporarily to a power source (use a switch in the circuit so you can stop it quickly)

If the drive unit is OK but other parts are missing or defect you should be able to use this dive unit with a new / different AP system.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I sure hope so! thanks man

drive unit test hopefully next week

the unit is free so it moves cause its permanently installed on the quadrant...so move the wheel and the ap moves...so at least its not seized jajaja

thanks much

benmar charges $225 for a service....wonder if its worthwile to take them up on that...but being here it would be expensive shipping wise

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.