SailNet Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an IP 485 in a charter fleet in St. Thomas. It goes out on charter about 15-20 weeks a year. I installed a 60lb. Danforth on 35' of 3/8HT chain with the remainder of the rode being 7/8" triple braid nylon as the secondary anchor. The primary is a 60lb. Bruce on 175' of 3/8HT all chain rode. The boat has been in the water for just over 5 years. The charterers use mostly the primary anchor when they are not on a mooring which i suspect is most of the time. The Danforth i expect rarely leaves the bow roller. When not out on charter it sits on a mooring. The rode on the primary is experiencing a lot of corrosion with some of the links now being worn halfway through. The Danforth is experiencing significant corrosion especially to the flukes with large scale flaking occuring. The short chain on the Danforth appears to be intact except where it passes through the stainless hawspipe on the deck where about 4 of the links show significant corrosion though not nearly what the primary rode is experiencing.
Can anybody out there give me an idea if this is excessive wear or if i may be getting premature aging of my rode and Danforth?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts