SailNet Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
first sailed january 2008
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The boat I bought wasn't use for cruising so much so I am working out my anchor system. It's got 200 feet of enormous nice rode but only 15 feet of chain. I believe 1/4". I could just buy all new chain, but I really don't want to mess up the great splice they've got where the rope meets chain. How would a chain connector work? I have no windlass so that is not a problem. Are they decently strong? If not any other options? They look like rock climbing carabiners and people hang from those 1000 feet up.

Sea-Dog Line 153006 | Fisheries Supply

I also think I might go claw. Thoughts? The mansons also look nice. I'm deciding between the two.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
A stainless steel shackle will work just fine for connecting two sections of chain. Just get one that has the same load rating as your chain, or is just as thick or a bit bigger than the chain size. Put some axle grease (or better yet: a dab of Cosmoline) on the thread so you can get it off later.

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,525 Posts
The amount of money you tied up in your 15' of chain is not great. I think I would go with one piece of chain (~50'?) since you do not have a windlass.

Not to start an anchor bun toss, but if you are buying a new anchor, the Manson is a much better choice, more expensive, because you will need to buy new rather than pick a used one, but worth it. Check to make sure it works with your bow roller.

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
Do you have any photos of your bow roller?

You can use the same type of shackle that you'll use to join your chain to the anchor to join two pieces of chain together. Make sure that it is at least as strong as the chain. I personally don't trust Sea-Dog brand stuff in load bearing situations, they often don't list breaking loads.

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
You might look for something like THIS or thisto connect two pieces of chain. Being as you are in Anacortes, I would probably look at the local WM or some other local Chandler vs going to Seattle and Fisheries. Any price savings would get eaten up in fuel costs. You may find a 15-60' chunk of chain local that someone wants to get rid of.

Marty

·
Registered
7,864 Posts
The better choice would be a "missing link" like the one below from Crosby. Installed properly it is as strong as a chain link. Do not use stainless for several reasons. One, not as strong as good galvanized steel. And for another if in the water a while it will cause the chain adjacent to rust fairly quickly. Stainless is never a good choice underwater.

·
Sailor
935 Posts
You cal learn how to splice chain on to a rope. There are plenty of how to videos on You Tube that show you how to do it. It isn't hard and it doesn't have to look pretty. That way you won't have to worry about any connector opening up under cross load, etc. get a new 50' length of chain and go with the Manson Supreme. You will not regret it. That anchor holds incredibly well!

Tod

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.