SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you all think?

The pictures are of my foreword chainplate. At 46 years old, it’s ready to be retired. I’ve taken careful measurements and will have a new one laser cut from slightly heavier bar stock.

My question relates to the function of the forward facing round head screw that is tapped into the aluminum deck plate. I think it’s there to prevent fore and aft movement of the chainplate flex damage at the bend in the chainplate.

However, it is also pulling the forestay and chainplate out of alignment. I think the answer is to carefully measure the correct angle for the bend to align with the forestay then use spacers to keep the new chainplate in correct alignment and prevent flexing.

Ami I missing anything? What say you?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
Yeah, that chainplate isn't aligned well with the stay angle. It looks like your estimate is correct that the bolt is to tie the chainplate to the stem fitting and keep the alignment. Is it possible that your stem fitting moved aft some, and the original alignment was correct at one time?

Otherwise, your plan sounds good to me.

Mark

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, that chainplate isn't aligned well with the stay angle. It looks like your estimate is correct that the bolt is to tie the chainplate to the stem fitting and keep the alignment. Is it possible that your stem fitting moved aft some, and the original alignment was correct at one time?

Otherwise, your plan sounds good to me.

Mark
There was a compression failure (since repaired) but the mast sits1 1/2 inches lower.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts