SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've pulled all 6 chainplates out of my 1991 Contest 35S. Two are pretty standard looking rectangular bars, but the other four are more elaborate featuring plates welded to tubular metal. I'm looking for recommendations of companies that did a good job fabricating equally elaborate chainplates for you.

Thanks,

Jason

(BTW, I originally posted this over in the Destinations -> Chesapeake Bay sub-forum, and then realized that with them out of the boat, I can ship them out of the area for fabrication, and so re-posted here. Mods please feel free to delete my original post..)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
The couple next door have a ss metal worker in Philly that they swear by. I've seen some his work and it's good.

If interested email me set "public ( at ) Hpeer Dot com and I'll get a reference.

·
But if not...
128 Posts
We had chain plates and a new bow sprit fabricated by Carter Fab in Millersville MD. Outstanding work - highly recommended.

·
Jnoiur Mebemr
182 Posts
Check out howdy bailey yacht services 7930 Turner Rd Norfolk VA 23518-2446 Tel: 757-480-0058. He built metal boats for many years under the name marine metals and global yachts. Take a look at "Pasha" for an idea of the quality of work he puts out.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I see you are in MD. Metal Craft on George Street in Annapolis is my go-to metal shop. You can show up with blue prints or back-of-an-envelope diagrams and they (Buddy and John) always do a good job. They also tend to use better materials (I've seen rust develop on stainless from other shops around here); you can even provide them with your own stock if that is your preference. And finally, I've always found their prices very fair.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all.

These are great suggestions. Since they're close to me, I'll start with getting some estimates from Carter Fab and Metalcraft.

Jason

·
I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
Another option, if you want boat people to do it, is Annapolis rigging. They do all their fabrication in house. But will probably be pricey.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I recommend Klacko Marine in Canada. There work is beautiful. They mostly do bowsprits and arches. You can google them. If there is welding involved i would make sure the welder is certified. These are critical components. This makes a difference!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts