SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone out there own a Challenger 35'' ketch? and if so have you sailed off shore? I am interested in your experiences cos I am going off shore in the next 24 months and would like to know what to expect.
Thank you
[email protected]

·
Administrator
9,189 Posts
If you are talking about an Alden Challenger, I believe they were sloops and yawls.

Jeff

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No. Challenger was the name of the manufacturer, built in Long Beach CA, but thanks for replying anyway.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Challenger 35 Experience

I just took a big gamble and purchased a Challenger 35 ketch. Can you share any pics of yours, and any stories that might help me as I start off my season of sailing her? Oh...she has a huge Nissan 65 hp deisel engine...is that standard?

Looking for any info, that might help me bend the learning curve, and save face with my wife :):rolleyes:

Mike

·
Wish I never found SN!
2,116 Posts
This Tread Is 6 Yrs Old

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Boy, this thread is old isn't it! I posted the original question, never did get to sail offshore, went back to Europe for a spell, am now back in CA and have another Challenger, a 32' this time. Love the boats. I'd be happy to help in any way I can mabell.
All the best

·
Official Rudder Inspector
19 Posts
As another "interested" sailor - yes - what is she like in a bluewater environment - my buddy wants to take his from the Ches to Bahamas on the outside - comments anyone ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Challenger owner

We just purchased a 1973 Challenger 40 here in Panama and would love to hear from others who are familiar with these vessels.We have some mast step issues and could use some experienced advice.Thanks!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is a site (the only one I know of about Challengers) that may be of use to you www.namotu.net/. I don't have blue water experience of the boats, but understand they are more than capable in that environment.
I'll be pulling my mast in a few months to refurbish it, I'll know more about the step then. In the meantime all I can offer is that you examine the collar the mast sits in to get an idea of what may be required.
There is a great article on exactly this subject on Sailnet that should be of assistance to you.
All the best

1 - 9 of 9 Posts