SailNet Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone out there own a Challenger 35'' ketch? and if so have you sailed off shore? I am interested in your experiences cos I am going off shore in the next 24 months and would like to know what to expect.
Thank you
[email protected]

·
Super Moderator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
10,417 Posts
If you are talking about an Alden Challenger, I believe they were sloops and yawls.

Jeff

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No. Challenger was the name of the manufacturer, built in Long Beach CA, but thanks for replying anyway.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Challenger 35 Experience

I just took a big gamble and purchased a Challenger 35 ketch. Can you share any pics of yours, and any stories that might help me as I start off my season of sailing her? Oh...she has a huge Nissan 65 hp deisel engine...is that standard?

Looking for any info, that might help me bend the learning curve, and save face with my wife :):rolleyes:

Mike

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Boy, this thread is old isn't it! I posted the original question, never did get to sail offshore, went back to Europe for a spell, am now back in CA and have another Challenger, a 32' this time. Love the boats. I'd be happy to help in any way I can mabell.
All the best

·
Registered
18 Posts
Challenger owner

We just purchased a 1973 Challenger 40 here in Panama and would love to hear from others who are familiar with these vessels.We have some mast step issues and could use some experienced advice.Thanks!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is a site (the only one I know of about Challengers) that may be of use to you www.namotu.net/. I don't have blue water experience of the boats, but understand they are more than capable in that environment.
I'll be pulling my mast in a few months to refurbish it, I'll know more about the step then. In the meantime all I can offer is that you examine the collar the mast sits in to get an idea of what may be required.
There is a great article on exactly this subject on Sailnet that should be of assistance to you.
All the best

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does anyone out there own a Challenger 35'' ketch? and if so have you sailed off shore? I am interested in your experiences cos I am going off shore in the next 24 months and would like to know what to expect.
Thank you
[email protected]
I just posted on Facebook a bit, about my 1976, "new" Challenger, 35' Ketch, which I owned, loved, trusted completely, and lived aboard from April 1, 1977, to November 1, every year until I sold her in 1994.

At some point, I made the acquaintance of another New Challenger Ketch owner that was and did go ocean sailing. He told me he had covered the big saloon windows with I think it was either 1/2" or 5/8" plexiglass. He also increased his water capacity quite a bit as it was only 40 gallons. Further he increased his fuel capacity quite a bit as it was only 40 gallons.

After he had gone ocean sailing I again spoke with him and he said that he had been caught on the outer edge of a hurricane. Short of being quite scared he, his crew, and his Challenger came through some rather incredible weather. He was eternally grateful for the upgrades that he had made.

I have been caught out in some mountainous waves and extremely high winds from time to time. Howard Stern, the owner of Challenger Yachts had once told me to sail my Challenger, 35' Ketch no more than 7% for maximum performance. He was right. But sometimes things happen. My Challenger has been healed over till the lake water rushed past, about 10 or 12 or so inches high on the main saloon windows. I never experienced a problem of any kind because of those experiences, which gratefully, were very few.

I never doubted the ability of my Challenger to "bring us back" as long as I kept her far off every lee shore. She would come about in huge waves with short intervals as long as I always looked for a flat spot, brought her up on that flat spot, and very quickly came about before connecting with the next wave.

She was beautiful and sweet to sail. We almost never used 40 gallons of diesel fuel in an entire season. We needed only 4.5' to stay afloat. We got to go to almost every harbor, river, and island in and around the entire Lake Ontario. She was "a one-finger steer", How sweet. I loved her for every minute that I owned her.

Good luck and fair sailing with your wonderful, Challenger 35' ketch. Stay in touch. I'm 85 and don't do any sailing anymore.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts