SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16,464 Posts
That's easy. Go to a especial agency and they will take care of everything. It will cost you between 3000 and 4000 euros. Most of the money is not for the agency fees but costs referring register and other needed bureaucratic stuff. It can be a Spanish or a British one. Maybe you can take care of that in Gibraltar. I bet that will have several agencies that can do that do that.

But take care, boats to be register with a Spanish flag have to pay a luxury tax and for foreigners living in Spain they force them to pay the tax and have Spanish flag (or they use to do that).

Think well if you are going to live there or just to have there the boat for some time. If you are going to live there it will be better and more hassle free to maintain the Spanish flag.

Regards

Paulo

·
Registered
16,464 Posts
You have just to look on the internet:

http://results.yachting-pages.com/nav/cat1/yachtagents/country/gibraltar/0

Gibraltar Companies, Trusts, Yacht Registration, Residency, Offshore

The Red Ensign - English - British Flag

Offshore boat registration. Registering a yacht in advantageous offshore jurisdictions

I don't know were you have the boat but if you ask to the broker that sell you the boat I am sure he will be able to point you to a local agency. You may compare prices with British ones.

Regards

Paulo

·
Registered
16,464 Posts
Thanks Zanshin and PCP.

I'm starting to get my mind around the problem now.

The other thing I have found out is that I also need to get an "NIE" which is a Spanish Tax ID number. This seems to be needed by the yacht buyer, and would appear to take many weeks to get. I have to go to Spain, present the application and supporting documents at a (suitable) Police Station.

Then, some weeks later (between 1 and 6 I believe) my NIE will be ready for me to collect. BUT they dont tell me when its ready, I just need to go back to the Police Station from time to time and ask if its ready! Hilarious!

There are apparently other ways to do it through the Spanish consulate in the UK, but they all seem to take many weeks. Seems like my thoughts of flying in to Spain on Monday, and leaving on Friday as the new owner of the boat are somewhat pie in the sky.

I bought recently a boat in Italy and need also an Italian tax number. The sell was mediated by an agency that took care of everything. I only had to go there to sign the papers. They also took care of the boat transfer and to register the boat in my name. In fact the bureaucratics are so heavy that I am still waiting for some papers regarding the radio licence (in my name) that take many months to be delivered (in Italy).

Were is the boat?

Regards

Paulo

·
Registered
16,464 Posts
As you cannot probably speak Spanish an internet search would be difficult in what regards to find an agency in Spain.

The key words are: abanderamiento that means putting a flag on a boat and matriculación that means register.

I found some agencies for you. I guess that if you email them they will accept the work or point you for an agency nearer your boat:

NAUTIDOC

ERP servicios juridicos y navales, Gestorias nauticas; matriculacion, abanderamiento embarcaciones

Registro buques | Abanderamiento | GMM Abogados Maritimo mercantil

Navegar seguro, el seguro de barco más económico

Náutica Legal - Abogados - Servicios

1 - 5 of 5 Posts