SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Tundra Down
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about moving the traveler on my Islander-28 forward 7". The structural modifications required to anchor and support it are not a problem. I am wondering if there are any important design considerations I should consider before making the changes. The traveler relocation is going to change the angles of the control lines if I don't move the bails. That doesn't seem to me to impact the loading of anything.

Currently the traveler delivers the main sheet to a block mounted cleat directly over the companionway. Redirecting it forward and routing it back to the cockpit is something I am doing anyway.

If you can think of a potential problem I will create by moving it please let me know.

Thanks,

George

·
Tundra Down
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could move the bails around if necessary but would rather not.

Yes, I am considering a dodger.

Thanks,

George

·
Tundra Down
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd give serious thought to moving it down into the cockpit rather than even more forward than it already is. (assuming bheintz' posted pic is accurate) You already have a serious case of "mid-boom-itis".

I realize there are implications with this too, but from a useability standpoint a mainsheet adjustment that is ready to hand is so much easier (and safer) than a cabin-top winch controlled arrangement, esp if you sail shorthanded. A boom-end mounted mainsheet looks like it would be near the helmsman to boot.
That is a worthy suggestion and I will consider how that might be done. The wheel already obstructs the cockpit so adding the traveler may not create a big problem.

That is an accurate picture of the boat. What problems are created by mid-boom itis? Is it access to the sheet? Is it a stress consideration? There are times when standing in the companionway with immediate access to the main sheet is handy. That is the way it is now. It is a bit of a pain having the sheet hanging down the companionway steps but it also gets a line out of the way. Having convenient access to it from the helm may be a preferable idea. Not involving a winch would be a very good thing. Any suggestions on where or how? I will start looking at other boats rigged that way.

If I moved the traveler forward how would that affect things? I was planning to run the sheet forward and turn it back to the cockpit through a clutch to a winch / cleat on the stbd cabin top beside the companionway opening. That is the arrangement on the port side now with a two line capacity.

·
Tundra Down
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
My wife might object to my removing the cockpit table to make room for the traveler. It would be a great place for it for single handed sailing.

What would you suggest the bail locations be for that set up?

Yes we do have a vang rigged. Essential!

George

·
Tundra Down
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Plan D is on the drawing board! I just retired (last week).

This I-28 fell into my lap two years ago. Being a former boat builder (not my latest retirement) I have been indulging myself playing with it. I would have never shopped for this boat but have been pleasantly surprised by its performance and comfort. My plan was to sail it for a year and sell it. I am enjoying sailing it. Perry designed a good little boat. The price was right! I have decided to make it as easy to single hand as I can as I play. Adding a dodger will make the late season sailing more comfortable. Perhaps I will just remove the traveler, lay up a "flange" for the dodger that will sit under the traveler in its current location and provide a bit more surface for attaching bits. I was playing with the thought of custom building a hard dodger and thought the extra "shelf" space that moving the traveler forward would provide would be useful. It isn't necessary.

Racing sailboats has not yet become a passion but I see it sneaking up. My retirement plan is to buy something I can spend summers on, comfortably, here in the NE. I may keep the I-28, too, for fun. I occasionally crew on IODs here on Mount Desert Island and have a sense of what racing involves. What kind of a handicap do you think a dodger will create in a race. I do not intend to go to a folding prop so my racing will be for fun.

George

1 - 5 of 5 Posts