SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The new edition of Chapman Piloting & Seamanship came out last September, and I'm surprised that nobody here has said anything about it (at least, search did not turn up anything).

Has anyone looked at it? What revisions and updates are particularly notable? Regulation updates? New technology updates? New anchor types? Is there any significant reorganization or other changes/improvements?

As of today, there is still no Kindle version, but Barnes and Noble does have a Nook version. I would think it could be very nice to have the e-book version on a small boat.

·
Registered
23,478 Posts
In 40ish years on the water, I've own two versions. The current one is something like 5 to 10 years old.

I flip inside about once per year to find something. I find guests aboard flip the pages more frequently, while they're in the mode.

·
Irrationally Exuberant
1,417 Posts
I got the new one for Christmas last year. I haven't done a compare with an older version, so I can't speak to that. I can say that it is a painfully heavy book! Handy for balancing your hull trim and as a backup anchor :D

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
I hear that the Nook version is very light! ;) :p
Yes and using the Nook as a anchor is not recommended, does not do much for the display.

I looked at it in B&N the other day, but did not have an old one to compare it to. I do like the old school cover. I am not sure I would like a Nook version as the display is too small. I like the big pages of the large format book for the illustrations. I would not mind if it came with both, but would not get the e-book alone.

·
Registered
359 Posts
What sort of stuff would change? Maybe some laws that apply to commercial captains? I sail "navigable waters" a handful of times a year at best. Do I need the newest version? I got the 46th from the FREE pile of a neighborhood yard sale and read every page of it.

I don't use AIS and I never used EPIRBS. That stuff seems to change and would be useful to lots of people who aren't me. If USCG decides to switch the port light to green and starboard to green I'll read about it on sailnet first.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I am a big fan of the 66th Edition (not to take anything away from the 67th). Nice to update every so often.

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
What sort of stuff would change? Maybe some laws that apply to commercial captains? I sail "navigable waters" a handful of times a year at best. Do I need the newest version? I got the 46th from the FREE pile of a neighborhood yard sale and read every page of it.

I don't use AIS and I never used EPIRBS. That stuff seems to change and would be useful to lots of people who aren't me. If USCG decides to switch the port light to green and starboard to green I'll read about it on sailnet first.
Sounds like you don't need to buy it. ;)

Too bad your 46th edition doesn't say anything about Loran. You really miss out on that one! :p

Reactions: sealover

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Earlier this year I saw that the Chapman Nook version was around $40, the same price as the hardcopy version. I passed at the time. Now I see that the hardcopy version is over $50, and the Nook version is under $20. Since I keep a Windows8 tablet on the boat all the time as my chartplotter, I've been tempted to get the Nook version, and the price looks a lot more attractive than it was earlier this year.

Before I pull the trigger on this, do any of you have any comments on the 67th edition - either hardcopy or Nook version?

·
Registered
23,478 Posts
There has been a hard copy of Chapmans aboard every boat my family has owned, as long as I can remember. They are never updated, until you buy a new boat. :)

Truthfully, I rarely open it at all anymore. However, I see kids, crew and passengers thumbing pages all the time. Wouldn't happen if it was in my tablet.

·
2,449 Posts
Rick,
Changes are incremental. Check your local WM. They usually have a copy or two of the last edition marked clearance this time of year for half price or less. They also do half off clearance price sales this time of year so you're getting 70-80% off a copy that's basically the same as this years.

I prefer the hard copy to thumb through with coffee on rainy mornings. There's a lot of good info in Chapman's that you see debated on SailNet -- but without the detours and mudslinging :laugher

The Annapolis Book of Seamanship by John Rousmaniere is another good rainy day book. The latest edition is something like 15 years old but something always seems to catch my interest.

Have a good holiday
Jim

Reactions: T37Chef

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
The Annapolis Book of Seamanship by John Rousmaniere is another good rainy day book. The latest edition is something like 15 years old but something always seems to catch my interest.
There's a new edition, the fourth, that came out last January. I have two copies of the third edition and one of the fourth...I may have a book problem...

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
There's a new edition, the fourth, that came out last January. I have two copies of the third edition and one of the fourth...I may have a book problem...
I just got a copy of this "used" on Amazon for $12 shipped. It had obviously never been cracked open as the spine made that "new book noise" when I opened it. Perhaps it had been marked like the art book in Seinfeld. Good reference but not Chapman's.

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rick,
Changes are incremental. Check your local WM. They usually have a copy or two of the last edition marked clearance this time of year for half price or less. They also do half off clearance price sales this time of year so you're getting 70-80% off a copy that's basically the same as this years.

I prefer the hard copy to thumb through with coffee on rainy mornings. There's a lot of good info in Chapman's that you see debated on SailNet -- but without the detours and mudslinging :laugher

Have a good holiday
Jim
Jim,

I have the 66th edition hardcopy already, and I have no real compelling need to get #67 unless there was a substantial upgrade in the content. I keep that book at home, because it makes my boat list. ;)

The only reason that I am tempted to purchase #67 is because with the Nook version I can have it with me all the time on my tablet or smartphone. On a 25 ft boat there's not much room for a library, but lots of room for little tablet computers. And $20 isn't bad. It was a lot more last time I checked, and I'm not sure if that's a temporary price reduction.

·
2,449 Posts
Jim,

I have the 66th edition hardcopy already, and I have no real compelling need to get #67 unless there was a substantial upgrade in the content. I keep that book at home, because it makes my boat list. ;)

The only reason that I am tempted to purchase #67 is because with the Nook version I can have it with me all the time on my tablet or smartphone. On a 25 ft boat there's not much room for a library, but lots of room for little tablet computers. And $20 isn't bad. It was a lot more last time I checked, and I'm not sure if that's a temporary price reduction.
I guess it depends on which Nook you're using. I have the original e-ink Nook and a lot of the books I downloaded came without illustrations.

My wife uses the Nook app on her Samsung tablet. I never checked if that version, being color, downloads with photos and illustrations.

I like the e-ink version for being able to read in a sunny cockpit, but the color is nice sometimes...

Oh and hope you're having a good holiday!

·
2,449 Posts
Minne, Thanks I didn't know a new edition was out. When I looked online it says 1/3rd of the book is new and/or updated.

Sounds like a late Christmas gift to myself :D

Thanks for the tip!

·
Administrator
5,921 Posts
Since I had a not very old hardcover edition I decided to give the Kindle tablet edition a try. I like the thought of having it on the tablet but when I'm at my desk at home I still reach for the hard copy. I did look at the tablet edition and the graphics seem to be fine. No odd pagination.

Reactions: JimMcGee

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Since I had a not very old hardcover edition I decided to give the Kindle tablet edition a try. I like the thought of having it on the tablet but when I'm at my desk at home I still reach for the hard copy. I did look at the tablet edition and the graphics seem to be fine. No odd pagination.
I've never seen a Kindle version listed anywhere. Link?

·
2,449 Posts
Donna, thanks for that. The publishers do the scanning for Nook & Kindle. That means the color version for Nook should have all the graphics if the Kindle edition has them.

I'm laid up this week from knee surgery. This thread got me to pull out Chapmans and ABofS for tomorrow's coffee reading :D

Jim

-- EDIT --
Can't find the Kindle edition. Donna do you know if it's still available?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts