SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Freedom 39
1,157 Posts
My current boat came with the Electromaax 180amp alternator and an Electromaxx regulator installed. Unfortunately the PO didn't spend the money to also upgrade the stock single V belt system on my Yanmar 4JHE and I chewed thru belts at an amazing pace while seeing 80amps flow into my battery bank at a fast idle. Add a few more RPM and 120amps wasn't an uncommon sight. After becoming a pro at replacing the damn belt faster than a pit crew, I did buy their serpentine belt kit with the adjustment arm which appears to be a direct copy of what I see on modern Volvo diesels. The serpentine kit and belt tensioner are an awesome combination. No more dust and much less tension needed which should be beneficial to all the bearings that take side loads. I know on some forums there are some very vocal posters that have had less pleasant interactions with Electromaax than I have. EM did make a mistake so I did have reason to test their customer service. I was unable to order the serpentine kit online, many pulldown screens don't have an option for St Thomas, so I called to order over the phone. Placed the order and was given an estimated delivery date. I called to follow up when I hadn't received any tracking info. They readily admitted they were at a boat show and had dropped the ball. To make up for it they added the tensioner kit and sent the package next day. When I got around to installing the kit it was obvious they sent the wrong crank pulley part. I called them at 8pm, their time, expecting to leave a nasty message on their answering machine and instead the owner answered. He was working late, verified they screwed up and sent me the correct part which arrived in less than 24hrs. He called two days later to make sure everything was OK and apologized again for the mishap. My take is that all companies make mistakes. Short of not making a mistake I don't know what else EM could have done any better to rectify it.

·
Freedom 39
1,157 Posts
Yes I have seen some of the negative comments, but they were also from 3 years ago or more. My impression is they have improved. As for them selling you a 180A alternator without emphasizing the need for dual or serpentine belts, that is unfortunate. I don't think they EMaax would do that now. Balmar is very upfront about not exceeding 100amps on a single belt.

Thanks for the post though. It sounds like you are happy with the final outcome of your installation, which is encouraging. It would be nice to know that while I am hauling up and cleaning my anchor that possibly more than 100 amps are flowing into my bank at a fast idle.
As stated, the previous owner had the alternator and regulator on the boat when I bought it from him. He is, a, well, how to say this... A very confident man in that he appears to belief he is smarter than those around him. I could easily envision him chastising a poor sales guy for trying to help him!!!

At idle, roughly 500rpms, I see 40-50 amps flowing into my batteries via a Victron battery monitor which is obviously dependent on their state of charge. I currently have 370 watts of solar and rarely need the alternator for charging to keep up with power demands. It sure is comforting to know that if I do need some power it is available with the turn of a key.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.