SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Got it, short and to the point. Thanks. I take your advice with high regard. Would this also be directed at the Alternator as well? I am actually awaiting a quote from my home marina for an AT165 and S6 150A Balmar Kit.
I believe most or all of Maine Sail's comments were actually oriented to the alternator. Regarding the external regulator, I know from other postings and conversations that he favors the Balmar MC-614, mainly because of programmability, including the ability to "derate" the alt using belt manager, allowing the alt to run cooler for longer life. I'm not aware of any other external regulators with this feature, but I haven't checked out the Emax regulator.

I would second the recommendation for Mark Grasser, which is where I got my alternator. He also offers serpentine kits, and custom fabricated one for my outdated engine. Great service and products.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I went through a similar thought process when I accidentally fried my OEM Hitachi alt. In the marine alternator world, there seems to be two options: cheap and crappy, or expensive and awesome. Not much in the middle.

I assume your plan includes a serpentine kit - where are you planning to source that?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.