SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mandate! "To seek out determine cause, repair replace as necessary"

My hunter 34, as I gain more knowledge of the boat I'm realizing that most of the systems were probably never winterized properly, the old half of inch gray plastic plastic lines, many fittings were loose, all the faucets apparently have been frozen and they all leaked, and yes I do have to replace the shower faucet which I thought was okay but was actually one of the worst leakers on the boat. lol

Also, the water heater leaks not a surprise on something so old, I believe they have aluminum tanks which will really start to corrode when left empty.
So I have a new water heater on it's way, and happily @ half it's cost because I had a credit gift on Amazon that I didn't know I had!
I keep thinking I could but I'm still hesitant to use a pressure regulated dock water connection instead of filling my tanks every other week which seem to have some pink slime in the bottom that comes to the faucets every now and then. Sigh I hope it's just residue from antifreeze, and not the slime that is often found in ice makers,

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
As a general rule, I don't like permanently pressurized water, from the dock. One clamp lets go, or line splits, and it will fill the boat endlessly. In your case, that risk seems higher than average, until you get on top of your list. They don't seem overwhelming, rather ordinary catching up. I prefer a glass lined water heater, but it sounds like you're committed already.

I'd get to the bottom of that pink slime. Fully drain and check. Hopefully, it's antifreeze. Manually scrub if possible. Shock it with Chlorine for 12 hours, etc. Even if you don't drink the water, using it to brush teeth or shower can make you sick, if it's bad enough.

I hate using antifreeze in potable water, for the winter. It sounds like you have a city water connection. They make garden hose adapters that you can connect to a small compressor and blow all the lines out. I have one that has a male garden hose on one side and a schrader valve on the other (bicyle valve). I got one of the tire inflators that holds itself on, set the compressor to about 30psi and let it rip. The city water valve itself, probably has a pressure regulator. You can check that limit and set it as close to it as you like.

Reactions: SanderO

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I don't like to hook up to a water supply even under the best conditions. Didn't do it in my travel trailer either.

Does your water tank(s) have a large port on top that you can access so you could reach in there and scrub?

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't like to hook up to a water supply even under the best conditions. Didn't do it in my travel trailer either.

Does your water tank(s) have a large port on top that you can access so you could reach in there and scrub?
My boat has two tanks one aft, and one port underneath the port bunk, I haven't looked for Access please but assuming they don't have them I will say the pink stuff seems to be less each time I refill the tank and I did shock them with bleach, by habit I never drink tap water at home at on the road or on a boat so it's not a big issue.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
I will say the pink stuff seems to be less each time I refill the tank
I've never had antifreeze survive more than one cycle of the tank. Typically, I would pump the tank as low as possible, with no water. Only add maybe a quarter tank at a time, while running all the faucets fully open until none was seen, then top it up, shock it and drain it. The hot water heater is often the toughest to purge as it is usually on a mixer with cold water and it's hard to focus effort there. Even with the faucets to full hot, it still mixes with cold.

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
I have a port and stbd tank. To prepare for the cold I drain the water opening each faucet... until no water drips out. m I remove the spout strainers.... and finally disconnect the hose from the pressure pump and run the pump to make sure it's empty. I remove the culligan filter for the winter which sipplies one of the 4 spouts on the boat
I don't drink tank water or use it for brushing teeth. I used bottled water for that. I remove bottled water lest it freeze and burst the container,.
Pink stuff is poured into the head... and some into the bilge under the prop shaft. Mast is deck stepped and the bilges are always dry.

My portable water dispenser above the galley sink:
Cloud Automotive lighting Drinkware Purple Sky

1 - 6 of 6 Posts