SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend just bought a Cape Dory Typhoon(3 foot draft) in Isle of Palms and I am picking it up and bring it up the ditch to nc. We will be using the iron genny mostly, sailing if possible. Any suggestions or advice is much appreciated. I haven't traveled this part of the ditch in at least 20 years. Thank You!

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Pretty straightforward trip in a boat like that, especially starting from Isle of Palms, you're already past one of the worst shoaling spots on the Ditch right now, just north of the Ben Sawyer bridge...

Only thing I'd suggest, you really want to catch the flood tide at Winyah Bay, and ride a fair current up the Waccamaw... Hit that wrong, and that will make for a VERY slow trip in that boat...

Likewise, riding the ebb out of Little River inlet can really speed up your passage thru the latter portion of the long landcut behind Myrtle Beach...

It would be a pretty short first day for you, but if you got a later start or just wanted to quit early, one of my favorite stops thru there is McClellanville... Reasonable dockage rate, a beautiful, friendly town to wander around, and a terrific little restaurant...

Good luck, and enjoy...

T.W. Graham & Company Seafood Restaurant, McClellanville - Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,036 Posts
Wouldn't McCellanville make for a long first day rather than short? I generally stop at Butler Island or just past it a ways for my first day. Been a while since I've done that stretch inside, but that's my recollection.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
The roughest body of water I encountered was Charleston Harbor. If the winds exceed 20 knots, wait till the tide goes slack to cross the harbor, which really gets nasty when the wind opposes the tide. The waves really stack, and the intervals are very short. Damned bad ride.

Gary :cool:

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Wouldn't McCellanville make for a long first day rather than short? I generally stop at Butler Island or just past it a ways for my first day. Been a while since I've done that stretch inside, but that's my recollection.
It's only 28 statute miles from Isle of Palms up to McClellanville, even in a CD Typhoon that strikes me as a pretty short day, this time of the year... Others' mileage may vary, of course...

go outside, two aboard nice sail.
That's not the advice I'd be comfortable giving to someone delivering a friend's new-to-him's 18-footer... :)

Not to mention, starting from Isles of Palms, getting outside will involve a considerable amount of backtracking either to Charleston Harbor, or back down Winyah Bay from the Estherville canal, negating a lot of the distance saved by going outside... Additionally, Little River Inlet can become a bit sporty in any breeze from SE to SW, and could be downright dangerous to a boat like a Typhoon if you happened to arrive there on the ebb...

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,036 Posts
That's right Jon, I was thinking of Bucksport for some reason.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Only thing I'd suggest, you really want to catch the flood tide at Winyah Bay, and ride a fair current up the Waccamaw... Hit that wrong, and that will make for a VERY slow trip in that boat...

Likewise, riding the ebb out of Little River inlet can really speed up your passage thru the latter portion of the long landcut behind Myrtle Beach...

Thanks for the advice about timing the flood up the Waccamaw. For some stupid reason, I think it's because we live on the Cape Fear river and the current absolutely rips, I get delusional looking at charts thinking no one else has strong currents. I think no one can have it as bad as we do here.

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,036 Posts
On the bright side, you get to run one of, if not the, most beautiful stretches of the ICW (Waccamaw R). Unfortunately that leads you right to the ugliest (Myrtle Beach).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.