SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this thread under Great Lakes, but I'm looking for advice and info from Lake Superior sailors. Having purchased a 31 ft.sailboat, I'm preparing to sail it from Charlevoix, MI to Bayfield WI in early August. We'll be transiting the Soo Locks and following the south shore of Lake Superior, also traveling through the Keweenaw Waterway. I've sailed in the Apostles protected waters often, but the Superior south shore is unfamiliar. I have the Richardsons' chart book and guide.

Any information regarding ports of call along the way (we won't be sailing at night), transiting the Soo Locks, or other info is appreciated.

·
Registered
570 Posts
You are not getting much help here. Hopefully you are finding information from other forums. Try Cruisers Forum, one of the mods there is a
Superior sailor and very knowledgeable guy.

·
Registered
204 Posts
My favorite an anchorage on the south shore lake Superior is on the South end of Grand Island near Munising. It is on your way.

A couple of other tips:
- "Superior Way" is the Lake Superior sailor's preferred index of anchorages.
- I like "Richardson's Chartbook".
- Be skeptical of the weather forecasts but check weather radio at least twice a day. Forecasts tend not to be accurate more than six hours in advance.
- None of the anchorages in the Apostle Islands offer great protection.
- I like the Madeline Island marina. La Pointe can be a fun place to get a drink.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts