SailNet Community banner

Location of Chart Plotter

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

Registered
Tartan 37
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do you prefer your chat plotter to be mounted?

I had only really considered mounting it at the helm on the pedestal guard. In a discussion with a consultant it was mentioned to think about putting it under the dodger. I have seen both and I am leaning towards under the dodger for many reasons. I would like to hear some discussion from the group.
-Why did you choose the location you did?
-Are you happy with the location?
-Any additional thoughts and information would be most appreciated.

For my application, mounting it under the dodger would solve several issues I would create trying to mount it on the pedestal guard.

bell ringer
mine really is at the nav desk, but my radar is at the helm and they are connected

my chartplotter is black & white and hard to read, but my radar unit is color and easy

so in the end the best info that is easiest to use is at the helm, when the guy steering can see it

no longer reading SailNet
Pedestal for easy access to controls while sailing.

I have a second data display under the dodger for easy viewing by helm and crew when sailing. It normally hows AWA, AWS, boat speed.

Registered
On my former boat, I had a color Raymarine plotter/radar (color) at the helm station and a repeater unit (b/w) below at the nav station. Never used the one at nav station while underway. At anchor I very occasionally used the plotter-radar for planning a trip or checking thundershowers. Having two units did not seem worth the expense, but they came with the boat. On my current boat, I have a chart plotter/radar at the helm station--where it should be. Nothing below. I have a decent size cockpit and unless I had a really large monitor, like 22" or so, I don't think I could see the plotter with the level of detail that would make me feel comfortable inching my way into a harbor. As I get older, things fall apart, and eyes went a long time ago.

Registered
Mounted in a pod on the Pedestal Guard.
  • Why did you choose the location you did?
    • Close to the wheel so I can operate and view the MFD while sailing alone
    • We sail mostly coastal/inshore so having the chart in cockpit is important while short/single handed.
  • Are you happy with the location?
    • Yes - works fine the way we use the boat
  • Any additional thoughts and information would be most appreciated.
    • Under the Dodger - to far away when I sail single handed
    • When we are two on watch it works fine to sit behind the wheel while the helms person sit to wind/leeward side steering. This way it's easy to share information.

Registered
I have one at the helm and one at my Nav station. Both are linked. I plot generally at my nav station. They can both be function independently if neccasary.

I like it at the helm for reference as i come in anywhere. My vision is going and it would be hard to see up front. While out i really only reference my c plotter once in a while as i do most of my routes by compass. I use a c-plotter for near in shore and that's about it.

I guess ideally a small repeater would be nice under the dodger (don't have one). But, i can't see burning more power to run another device. I do have a 78SC i use on occasion; that's more for practice than anything else.

I do believe instruments should be forward though. I can't stand them at the helm. I spend very little time at the wheel.

Registered
Chartplotter/MFD at the helm that can wireless to any android device (phone and tablet) on board as both repeater and control (Raymarine).
Bpth a netbook (10inch) and 22 inch PC based chart plotter below with an USB hockey puck for GPS, this also feeds a back up GPS to the VHF with DSC and AIS (the 2150x) that also carries and shows lat/lon course and speed, the AIS is also then repeated to all devices.

Eventually, the simple hand held Bushnell night vision will also feed the video input for the chart plotter.

oh yeah, and I've got a hand held Magellan GPS with charts and my phone has Navionic's USA East. I think I'm covered, but just in case I have paper charts (um, two sets :)).

Registered
Pedestal and at the chart table, but if I could have only one, it would be at the pedestal. The only case when under the dodger might be better, is in bad weather you could tuck yourself in there, assuming you have an autopilot with a remote.

Registered
I have two and both are located at the helm. But, I have a permanent bimini over by cockpit that I only take down for hurricanes. I also only boat in moderate weather areas. If I was going to sail somewhere cold, I could see maybe mounting it below.

Registered
I strongly prefer the chartplotter at the helm, especially for Chesapeake Bay sailing where I find that 90 percent of the use of the plotter is for picking into tricky creek and cove entrances. In those situations, I really don't want the chart or its controls five plus feet away, no matter how big the screen is. The plotter under the dodger or down below has always seemed more of an offshore setup where you might have the boat self-steering for hours on end and not want to climb behind the wheel for every course check, etc.

Registered
Mine is at the pedestal, but since it's a netbook connected wirelessly, it could be anywhere. I use a RAM mount system with 1.5" rubber balls and connecting arms, which allows me to rotate it 360 degrees on top of the pedestal if I decide to sit astride the wheel. I have a ball at the pedestal, and another ball down in the cabin that holds the computer above everything so it doesn't take up any counter space. I could put additional balls in other places too.

My netbook will be replaced with a Windows 8 tablet this spring, but same net effect - I can mount it anywhere on the boat, rotate it 360 degrees, and even take it out of the bracket and carry it around with me. And the tablet allows me to rotate it into portrait or landscape orientation, depending on where I'm sailing.

Most people want a turnkey system in a pod, and that's fine for them. With the limited space on my boat, and the desire to sit on the the windward side of the wheel when heeling, my system is better for me than any turnkey system.

Registered
Where do you prefer your chat plotter to be mounted?

-Why did you choose the location you did?
-Are you happy with the location?
-Any additional thoughts and information would be most appreciated.

For my application, mounting it under the dodger would solve several issues I would create trying to mount it on the pedestal guard.
I mounted the CP on a swinging mount in the companionway. Sailing, I spend the least amount of time behind the wheel, mostly steering while sitting at-or just forward, of the wheel. From there I'm protected by the dodger and see sails and the water ahead over the decks.

But I also use the CP below at the nav station, just by swinging it in. That works perfectly for my sailing.

Now we're using a tablet as a second CP, I haven't figured out what's best for that.

Master Mariner
We really like having it on the pedestal. Our second unit is in the aft cabin, as a tattle tale when I'm on a passage with crew, an anchor alarm at anchor and as a warning system using the proximity alarm on the networked radar, if I'm single handing deep sea, taking a nap.
I can't imagine it forward in the cockpit as I've seen on Little Harbors and others. I'd hate to always be asking guests to please not be in the way and how do you read the depth, or change ranges, start the radar, etc, especially in adverse conditions?

Registered
I drive from the leeward rail to see the sails.
Installed it forward under the dodger on the last boat. I could easily see it from either side driving but people constantly sat in front of it so it was useless.
Have it at the helm on this boat. Much better. No one in the way and easy to see when I need some info.
I have repeaters forward for wind, depth and speed which is what I'm watching most of the time when we are sailing any way.
Jim

Registered
Well I had to check other , In low buck projects lets sees em(pg.97) I showed my mounting spot .It's on the aft bulkhead in the port light , because i'm tiller steering my options were few . I was considering under the dodger, swing out companion way . But settled on my little low buck bracket in the port , mainly because when we don't need it I can stow it down below . If I had wheel steering it would be on the pedestal .

Registered
I have one unit, but I have two connection points. One place to connect is at the NAV station, and the other is under the dodger where it is easily visible from the helm.
This is similar to what I did. I have one connection point at the nav station, on a ram mount with a two part swing arm so I can pull it toward me when sitting at the nave station or swing it around to be visible while standing next to it.

The other connection point is at the helm, also on a RAM mount, attached to the port side vertical post of the binnacle. It's high enough to see most of the time I'm sitting at the helm but it doesn't protrude above the compass so it doesn't affect visibility.

I really like the set up. The only minor down side is that if I'm on starboard tack and heeling pretty good, the plotter is on the low side, since I attached it to the side of the binnacle instead of the top. Not really a big deal since most of the time I really need the plotter is navigating rivers and harbors and in those situations I'm behind the helm and not heeling at all.

Registered
Shawn -
I have mine (Garmin 4208) at the helm on a RAM mount swing arm like TakeFive does. That allows me to stand at the wheel and have direct access to the CP and all of its functions (RADAR display, AIS display, CP, and services data) and also to turn it to face either the coamings or the house. Offshore I spend a lot of my time sitting with my back to the house and the swing arm lets me monitor the CP and or RADAR from that position. I am very pleased with this setup. If you email me with your email address I'll try to dig up some pics for you.
-M

Registered
Hello,

Mine is at the helm. On my O'day it' on a RAM mount so I can easily adjust it so I can see it from either side (I'm rarely behind the wheel). I like having it at the helm because I can easily push buttons to move to various screen (using sonar when anchoring, using the basic chart when day sailing, switching to the route screen when going somewhere, displaying large numbers when racing, etc.).

My C&C came with a 7" Garmin unit also mounted at the helm. That one was not swivel so I might change the mount.

I also use a small handheld Garmin unit that I can take with me, etc.

Barry

Registered
I have mine mounted at two locations. In the cockpit it's on the forward cabin bulkhead which is pretty close as I use tiller steering. The cables come in from the cabin into the back of the chart plotter so I can easily pull it out and re-position it inside the cabin at my chart area. This also reduces exposure when not underway. I slide in a piece of plastic starboard with a gasket to cover the hole when the plotter is inside

1 - 20 of 77 Posts