SailNet Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering chartering out my old 28' S2 that is at Marsh HArbor to help defray the costs of keeping her there. She is old and looks it although she is in good sailing condition. Her amenities are seriously lacking. However, she is in a perfect place for chartering and with her 3'10" draft she can go places most others cannot.
A hotel in the Abacos costs an absurd amount/night and you don't get a boat. So, for say $600/week, someone would get a place to stay and the means to get places.
If I was to advertise her as being very spartan and put some of that nice looking stick-on Seadek stuff to make her look better, buff out and wax the gelcoat, what amenities would be absolutely necessary?

Right now, she has a Porta-Potti and there is a pump station in Marsh harbor.
She has a propane Magma grill for cooking, nothing else.
Her 40 gallon water tank is questionable The water has sand in it)for drinking water so we always use 5 gal cans
Her fuel guage has never worked although I have replaced it 3 times.
No fancy electronics, just the basic stuff, meaning no chart plotter. She has paper charts and handheld Garmin 76 GPS.
She works well for me but I worry that my standards are too low.
Her actual value, probably $6000.

What y'all think?

S/V Calypso
You would seriously allow someone you don't know take your boat out without functional electronics? What about insurance? I would expect that anyone interested in chartering a boat in that bad of shape won't be the best of sailors. They will be sailing your boat around some VERY expensive boats.

Non-functioning fuel gauge means that the boat will at some time run out of fuel at the worst of times causing who knows what kind of damage to your boat or someone else's.

-Chris

Premium Member
She works well for me but I worry that my standards are too low.
What y'all think?
Personally, chartering a boat in the condition that you described wouldn't be my dream vacation no matter where it's located. But that's just me.

Old enough to know better
I would consider chartering it, if I wanted to go down there on a budget vacation. But I am fond of camping, I suppose I would be your target audience, broke and love sailing no matter how rustic. I don't know how you would cover it via insurance and what not. I don't know how you would arrange things like basic maintenance and what not. I don't think you can expect a paying guest to be willing to do any maintenance, and likely any maintenance company would suck up any profits. How do you get it cleaned between charters? Sounds like it could be good to let people you know charter it, but strangers I would not even try it. If you had family down there that could help out, but again splitting profits will make it not very worth while.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My boat is registered in the Bahamas. I happen to think she is in good shape but I've spent many years sleeping on the ground outside so sleeping aboard is like a hotel by comparison.
I've never run out of fuel but I probably could fix the fuel gage. I carry two extra jerry cans of fuel.
What electronics do you need? It has a GPS and charts and compasses, nav tools, etc. If yer the type who needs a chart plotter, you aren't my potential charterers.
I have loaned her out to friends who went down and sailed her all over.
Yes, the cleanup afterwards could be a problem but I have friends there so maybe...
As far as being around expensive boats, I love sailing into marinas knowing my boat is the smallest and least expensive there and has gone more places than any of them. When the dockmaster comes up and asks me where to hook up the electricity, I tell him, "you don't" and then he wants to know if I will hook up to water I say, "I have no way to hook up to your water". They start to ask if I need cable but only one got that far.
Staying in marinas is expensive there but when they find I dont need water, elec, or cable and have such small draft, they typically find me a place closer to the shore that is ussually better protected so they can use the fancy slips for people who want that stuff. At most places, they'll quote a charge for a minimum length (often 34') but when I go to pay they cut the price in half. I've been docked next to insanely expensive yachts while they give parties and once the partiers wandered aboard my boat for the novelty.
I'd expect charters to either use moorings or to anchor (I have three anchors of diff types with 250' of rode on each).
With such simple systems, maintenance is also simple.
Insurance? I'll have to figure it out.
I figure that one week-long charter a month will cover my costs.

Registered
You might need to look into what's required to do business down there as a non-citizen. My understanding is that it's relatively complicated and expensive, at least if you want to be above board.

Registered
Your full-disclosure ad listing would look interesting, to say the least! :confused:

Here's my take. If I'm flying down there with friends, I'm already in for a few thousand dollars, and we're all taking vacation time for work. Would I risk all that money by skimping on a tired old boat the could run out of fuel without my knowing it, with no professional management, being looked after by a few of your "friends"? No way.

You imply that you would be willing to charter such a boat from someone else, but I would not. So the question is, who is your more typical charter customer - me or you?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am a bit surprised at the responses as I assumed that there were many ppl who wanted to cruise for the same reasons I do. However, the sample size here has been small.
When I see those poor people who spend so much on Sunsail or Moorings charters, I think they spend more money in a day than I spend in a week. They are on a schedule and if the weather is poor for a couple days they can't go places they want. They may get gourmet meals aboard but I get to eat in weird local places and talk to locals (after awhile you do get tired of conch in various forms as it is the least expensive meat there.)
I did charter once in the Keys on a boat similar to mine and my low expectations were easily exceeded. They had no problems with me spending an extra day to see Dry Tortugas. They even gave me a better deal when I fixed the boats diesel. Chartering a fancy boat would be too much like a cruise ship, not my thing.
Different boats for different folks I s'pose.

Registered
I am a bit surprised at the responses as I assumed that there were many ppl who wanted to cruise for the same reasons I do. However, the sample size here has been small.
When I see those poor people who spend so much on Sunsail or Moorings charters, I think they spend more money in a day than I spend in a week. They are on a schedule and if the weather is poor for a couple days they can't go places they want. They may get gourmet meals aboard but I get to eat in weird local places and talk to locals (after awhile you do get tired of conch in various forms as it is the least expensive meat there.)
I did charter once in the Keys on a boat similar to mine and my low expectations were easily exceeded. They had no problems with me spending an extra day to see Dry Tortugas. They even gave me a better deal when I fixed the boats diesel. Chartering a fancy boat would be too much like a cruise ship, not my thing.
Different boats for different folks I s'pose.
It's not that your preference is wrong. I just think it's atypical.

There's a level of familiarity with one's own boat that allows you to work around all its quirks. You know all the nuances, and can get around just fine. But that familiarity is only gained through months or years of experience with that boat.

OTOH, in a charter situation you typically have a week - no time to get familiar with a quirky boat. That week can be ruined with a quirky motor that, for instance, won't start unless you do things a certain (non-standard) way. It's not about having a luxurious new boat. It's about the basics of having a boat that is reliable and safe.

When I chartered from Sunsail two years ago, the boat was only about 3 months old and still broke down three times during the week. Fortunately they were staffed to have a person out within a couple of hours each time. Do you plan to have friends (or a management company) who would provide that service for your customers? That's the first question I would ask of anyone I was chartering from, regardless of whether the boat is old or new.

And those "poor people" who spend more in a day than you do in a week will be spending more than you do in a month just on the airfare. That's a large part of the cost of chartering, and why a cheap boat may not be viewed as much of a bargain.

Maybe I'm wrong. Let us know how it goes for you. Maybe we can look up your Yelp rating in a couple years.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
From Takefive:

"There's a level of familiarity with one's own boat that allows you to work around all its quirks. You know all the nuances, and can get around just fine. But that familiarity is only gained through months or years of experience with that boat."

I suspect this is the reason why I think my boat is in good condition whereas someone else might not. I imagine someone objecting, "The throttle doesn't stay in position" to which I'd reply "Thats what the cord on it is for and the cam cleat below it".
I'd have to do quite a few repairs to get rid of all those quirks but you say the new boats have them too..............

Bombay Explorer 44
Well you are going to need insurance.

A charter licence. $40 for the application and $625 for the licence.

It then has to be inspected.

Process
To registration for a Foreign Charter License the applicant must fill out and submit an application Form to the Port Department Office on New Providence or any of the other Port Department offices listed below.
The applicant must provide all supporting documents and pay the appropriate Boat Registration and Inspection Fees at the time that the application is submitted.
The Port Department evaluates the vessel to ensure that it has adequate crew and determine a limit the maximum amount of passengers that can be safely transported on boat.
The boat MUST then be inspected by a Port Department Inspector.
Once approval is granted by the Inspector the Foreign Charter License is issued.
Sounds like you might need to do some work to pass inspection.

Super Moderator
I can pitch my tent in a beautiful spot on cape cod for $ 280/week with hot showers, bathrooms and running water. ( it was $42./week when I 1st started going there $21/ea.)

I can see a couple of adventurous kids who know how to sail, hitching a ride to the bahamas doing that and splitting the cost.

Registered
Well you are going to need insurance.

A charter licence. $40 for the application and $625 for the licence.

It then has to be inspected.

...The Port Department evaluates the vessel to ensure that it has adequate crew...
Looks like these are the requirements for a crewed charter. What are the requirements for bareboat?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.