SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Unpaid Intern
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
We'll be sailing our "new" boat home this spring, from New England to the Chesapeake. We'll have chartplotters galore, one Garmin 182c on board with updated local charts in NE, another portable (not-handheld) Garmin complete the entire coastal US charts unlocked (borrowed), and yet a third (my own handheld) with the Chesapeake covered.

So on the electronic side of things, we're essentially covered. However, I'm of the thinking that the usage of paper charts, particularly on passage, is a good idea as a back-up to our electronics.

Is there a chartbook, chart, or set of charts that would be advised for Block Island to Cape Henry (as a back-up to chartplotters)? Keep in mind that once we get the boat home, we won't need these coastal charts anymore, since the boat will live in the Bay. However, we want to be safe on our delivery, so I appreciate any suggestions of how to keep our bases covered.

Thanks for your help!
-J

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
richardson waterproof chart kits are a good buy. You would need five or six to cover that stretch. About $40 ea.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I bought some maptech chartkits on ebay for half price. One covers block island to cape may as I recall. The chesapeake bay one covers delaware bay also and you might want that one for the future. Its worth a look and you can always resell the ones you dont want on ebay.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts