SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a single paper chart that covers the sailing area from Norfolk to Bermuda? If not, is there a chart book that includes charts for that entire trip?

Thanks,
mrmac

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jsaronson - that's what I had come up with but had hoped that there was a single chart covering the whole thing. I have the charts on a netbook but would like to take a look at the trip on paper charts. As a cheap crew member, I was trying to keep my costs down.

Do sailors come out of the Chesapeake Bay and just head straight for Bermuda as best the winds and currents will allow?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
There is a planing chart Newport to Bermuda. Number is 5161. You also need 13003. You'll need a detailed chart of the Island.
Passage, approach, and entry charts are the minimum, but don't forget charts needed for an aborted passage. Where are you going to go if X happens and you need to divert somewhere south of Cape Henry? It's good to have approach and entry charts for a couple of harbors in NC. Wilmington.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the Bermuda race regs, jsaronson. May I have your thoughts on seaworthiness of catamarans with respect to sliding glass door from cockpit into salon?

·
Registered
196 Posts
You can also see what information is available on the Navionics app and charts by going here: WebApp | Navionics
so you can see the maps before purchasing the app or chips.

Here is a screenshot of the Bermuda area

As far as seaworthiness of a catamaran with a sliding door into the salon, there have been many a catamaran with sliders that circumnavigated and faced some pretty rough conditions. My advice, close the door when you're in rough seas. You'll be good.

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,689 Posts
Do sailors come out of the Chesapeake Bay and just head straight for Bermuda as best the winds and currents will allow?
Pretty much. Note you have pick relatively early whether to go around North or South to get to Town Cut.

Also note that the Gulf Stream is northeasterly between either Newport or Norfolk and Bermuda.

·
Senior Smart Aleck
2,152 Posts
Yes, BUT!! It takes the right boat, properly equipped with the right crew. Races to Bermuda are category 1 for a reason. Here is a list of safety requirements as a guide:
http://www.bermudaoceanrace.com/images/stories/pdfs/A2BOSR030214.pdf

It is not a trip for a novice, and don't attempt a Stream crossing in a northerly wind.
Just to let everyone know, because fellow Sailnetter Joel, who is an accomplished sailor, fellow lawyer, and a generally nice guy, is too modest to broadcast this: he will be competing in this year's Annapolis to Bermuda race in his C&C 35 III, "The Office". (Imagine, there are some people on Sailnet who actually sail, are well prepared, and know what they are doing!)

Good luck! I am rooting for you, Joel! I hope you take lots of pictures and videos to broadcast the journey.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Jim,

Thanks! We'll be one of the smallest PHRF boats in the fleet. Its my first A2B. If it stops snowing in Annapolis the boat might get launched this week! I've spent a year and half slowly getting ready (and spending money). After the Defender sale this week, I hope to turn off the money spigot, finish the prep and get out to practice.

Maybe we will see you as we head down the Bay!

Joel

1 - 12 of 12 Posts