SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Read Only
87,689 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all-
Im looking at buying a sailboat to live aboard while i attend college (San Diego). I don''t plan on cruising all that much but might take it out every once and a while. I am on a very tight budget and have been looking at a lot of bargain boats (25-30ft)and all have been <$2000. Most are mid seventies... What is wrong with old boats?? Here no one talks about anything sub $10000. Are these boats ready to sink?? I am fairly skilled in carpentry & mechanics and belive i can handle most repairs, if i can find a manual...but most everything looks as if its in pretty good condition. Can someone give me some perspective on what price to pay for a descent livable sailboat??

this is one im looking at...
http://www.boattraderonline.com/addetail.html?487969

· Read Only
87,689 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If you''re going to live in the San Diego area I can think of NO MORE affordable way. I have a friend stationed there in the Navy that does the exact same thing.
1) check with marina and see if they allow "live-aboards" 2) Plan on at least $300 -$500 a month for slip fees. These can be almost as expensive as a condo in San Diego. 3) How long ago was the hull inspected? 4) Is there a recent marine survey? (blisters in hull, crazing, electronics failures, etc.)
With a boat this age, especially listed as in "average condition", you can expect to spend some times on repair and maintenance.
Best of luck,
M
~~~~_/)~~~~~

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.