SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

We're an Australian couple who have just purchased a 30 foot Bristol. We need to find a cheap DIY boatyard with dry dock storage (possible liveaboard option while we work on her?) in the Florida/Georgia area. We need to be able to sail her in, haul her out and dry dock her. Somewhere ideally not too far from a major airport. Boat may need to be in dry dock for about three months while we make a trip home (May through July)

We'd welcome any suggestions

Ant & Carol

·
Seinor Member
276 Posts
A Shameless plug

For Green Cove Springs Marina. Located on the St. Johns River just south of Jacksonville.
I admit I am the dockmaster there, but we might be just what your looking for.

(904) 284-1811 ask for Dave or Crystal

Fair Winds

Dave

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Crackerboy was a friendly place to work. But it's more than a walk to any stores so plan on renting a car. They lock up after about 9pm and it's pretty quiet. You can stay aboard on the hard. Big plus is Marine Connection Liquidators about 5 miles away. TONS of used gear.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Heartfelt thanks to all those who took time out to reply.It narrowed our search and first hand experience cuts through the commercial razzama taz.
gratefully Carol and Ant.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Green Cove Springs Marina (2nding Dave's shameless plug) is a friendly place with a lot of folks doing the live aboard while refitting thing.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Green Cove Springs Marina is where I'm refitting, great prices, very frendly staff, convinent to St. Augustine and Jacksonvill so you can get anything you might need in terms of supplies. In St.Augustine I heartily reccomend The Sailors Exchange for SUPER deals on parts, rope, sails, etc.

Good luck!

Mike

·
Sailing to surf
208 Posts
Hi!

I am purchasing a boat in Inglis, FL and plan to take it to a DIY yard after purchase. I figure I would take it south along the coast to somewhere between Tarpon Springs and Naples. Can anyone recommend some good options for DIY boat yards in this region?

Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
For Green Cove Springs Marina. Located on the St. Johns River just south of Jacksonville.
I admit I am the dockmaster there, but we might be just what your looking for.

(904) 284-1811 ask for Dave or Crystal

Fair Winds

Dave
Are you still the dockmaster there?

Can you send me a normal email address where I might send you an email letter with possible an attachment. It appears I am 'too young' on this forum to utililize the private message feature. ;)

[email protected]

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Are you still the dockmaster there?

Can you send me a normal email address where I might send you an email letter with possible an attachment. It appears I am 'too young' on this forum to utililize the private message feature. ;)

[email protected]
Don't recommend that you post e-mail address in machine readable form unless you like spam.

·
Seinor Member
276 Posts
Check your in box

Hi Brian,

I just seny you an email.

I also second Dog's advice. Please don't put your email address for all
to see.

Fair Winds

Dave

·
Registered
20 Posts
Liveaboard Working Boatyard

We hauled out, worked on & lived aboard our 37' sailboat at Green Cove Springs Marina (Fl.) & recommend the place to all.
Hey Dave!!! We are in fact headed back there now, probably sometime in June, as soon as we sail from Luperon, D.R. up thru Bahamas, etc.

·
scurvy dog
57 Posts
Indiantown, as mentioned in the first response allows liveaboards on the hard and is a great hurricane hole if you're leaving the boat.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I have heard there is a DIY liveaboard on the hard marina/yard south of Venice,FL...It is near the Englewood or Placida area a bit north of Gasparilla island/ Boca Grande.I want to haul my yacht there and I have had a hard time finding the EXACT place,tel.# etc...Anyone know this place?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts