SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I just can't see tying fenders to the lifelines. When you roll against the dock it stresses them down and makes creaking sounds below. With all the firm holes in that toe rail,- that's the place for me. 'take care and joy Aythya crew

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
I'd also point out that generally the lower that you tie the fenders on the stanchions, the better. If you tie them to the life lines, they have a lot more leverage and if they get caught under the dock, they might damage the stanchions.

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fender Hangers

There is nothing wrong with tying a knot but I like the convenience of easy removal when I leave the dock. Call me a snob, but I hate the look of a sailboat dragging their fenders along side the boat. Talk about lazy.

In regard to theft of fenders...I've never known anyone that has had their fenders stolen. I have kept my boat in several different marinas, over the years, and have never had a problem.

·
Just a Sailer
25 Posts
I lost a set last fall, and have to replace them before I sail. Usually clip them to the toe rail, and move them to the lifelines when sailing.(clears the side of the boat) Unlike the old set the new set will be clearly marked with my boat's name.

Steve

·
Registered
433 Posts
I use those aluminum carabiners that are stamped with "not for climbing" and sell @ 3 for $1 at the dollar store, someplaces they are 2 for $1 but they clip on/off just about anywhere and have plenty of holding power for their use. I haven't bent one yet. They would work great in those slots along the toe rail or at the base of the stantions. They are as cheap as you can get and they never rust and always work. I use those carabiners all over the boat for various duties, great little items they are.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I use those aluminum carabiners that are stamped with "not for climbing" and sell @ 3 for $1 at the dollar store, someplaces they are 2 for $1 but they clip on/off just about anywhere and have plenty of holding power for their use. I haven't bent one yet. They would work great in those slots along the toe rail or at the base of the stantions. They are as cheap as you can get and they never rust and always work. I use those carabiners all over the boat for various duties, great little items they are.
I like that idea. Cheap, efficient, easy to use for the admial. Well done!

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hanging Fenders.

The cheap aluminium carbiners are an excellent idea but they do rust. Something about a steel spring in an aluminium hook. They are a great value but not for the marine enviornment.

·
Banned
8 Posts
The Captains Hook Fender Hanger

For those that are interested...I received my new fender hangers today and wanted to share. These are very simple, extremely sturdy, hangers that fit the lifelines perfectly. They are made of UV white plastic and are about 1/4" thick. I ordered from the website and they seem to be a small company so I'm glad to give them the business.
Anyone interested in a hanger for their fenders that installs and removes easily should check them out. How can you go wrong for $2.50 delivered.

The Captains Hook

I have discovered a neat product for hanging your fenders. Better yet, it's half the price of anything else out there and free shipping. I ordered a set today.

The Captains Hook

When I get them I'll let you all know if thet are any good.

·
Banned
4 Posts
For those that are interested...I received my new fender hangers today and wanted to share. These are very simple, extremely sturdy, hangers that fit the lifelines perfectly. They are made of UV white plastic and are about 1/4" thick. I ordered from the website and they seem to be a small company so I'm glad to give them the business.
Anyone interested in a hanger for their fenders that installs and removes easily should check them out. How can you go wrong for $2.50 delivered.

The Captains Hook
Knowing a bit about plastics, it is remarkable to me that a company can actually sell something like this so inexpensively. The cost of the necessary tooling to manufacture the captains hook would be a few thousand dollars alone; let alone they are offering free shipping and, based on my research, at least half the price of other hangers specifically made for this application.

I have decided to purchase a pair for those reasons alone. I'll find some use for them, whether for my fenders, or for hanging fish. Thanks for the info.

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Um... the raw materials cost and mold cost per piece is relatively minimal if they're injection molding these suckers with say 36 to a mold.... The cost of the plastic is probably a couple of pennies... the postage is probably less than $1... if they ship FIRST CLASS MAIL. They're probably making $1.50 or more per set they sell. They could also be extruding the plastic in that shape and slicing to make them, which would be even cheaper.

Knowing a bit about plastics, it is remarkable to me that a company can actually sell something like this so inexpensively. The cost of the necessary tooling to manufacture the captains hook would be a few thousand dollars alone; let alone they are offering free shipping and, based on my research, at least half the price of other hangers specifically made for this application.

I have decided to purchase a pair for those reasons alone. I'll find some use for them, whether for my fenders, or for hanging fish. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Um... the raw materials cost and mold cost per piece is relatively minimal if they're injection molding these suckers with say 36 to a mold.... The cost of the plastic is probably a couple of pennies... the postage is probably less than $1... if they ship FIRST CLASS MAIL. They're probably making $1.50 or more per set they sell. They could also be extruding the plastic in that shape and slicing to make them, which would be even cheaper.
Yeah, looking at the sharp corners and flat surfaces, these items look to me like they're stamped out of sheet plastic. That makes the production costs a few cents per item.

Still, they probably serve a purpose on the boat and I would use some just as tidies (wash line, etc) but the postage to where I live makes it less of a bargain.

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Knots are more versatile and free. :) Yeah, international postage is a deal killer. :)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts