SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I haven't posted much since joining so I wanted to try and contribute. In my search for good cabin lights I found that outfitting my entire 32' catamaran with new ones was going to run way too high, and keeping my circa '78 English light fixtures (of which one already almost caught the boat on fire) was not an appealing option. I did some searching of the local hardware stores and found a GE fixture at Home Depot with a pushbutton that had a nice look to it as well as conveniently running off of 8 AA batteries. For anyone math-challenged, that means 12 volts total so it can be run off of house batteries. I modified the back of them and soldered lead wires onto the circuit board where the old leads were and, voila, I now have new fluorescent cabin lights that work great for about $12 a piece instead of the $60-$100 each I was looking at for marine LED or fluorescent. They've been on for over a year with no issues. I recommend them.

Attachments

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
ja they sell those down here too! they are awesome used for power outages...the neat thing about this one is you just plug it into ac every week or so and it stays charged for a while so if you have an inverter they last quite a while

Ill load a pic too of some very very cheap round cabin flourescent lights I found for cars...something like 4 bucks...for 12 volts...

theyll be replacing my standard round incandescent lights...

good stuff

thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds great, I wish I could have found some for $4. I thought I was doing great at $12 a piece. of course, I had wood mount pads that were rectangular, so I had to find something that looked right on those and that's one reason these worked so well for me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.