SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi im a college student interested in finding a live aboard boat. I was hoping some of you could help me. ive been researching sailboats for the past three days (almost nonstop) and still have little clue what will work for me.

my ideas:
1. a liveaboard boat (has a working head, galley and berth)
2. can fit in a normal slip
3. something reasonably fast
4. needs to be cheap, hopefully under 10,000 us
5. can be handled with 1 or 2 people
4. can be bought near LA
5. used boat would be best but i would also "consider" building

also i was interested in a cat or tri... is this possible with my needs?

is there anything else i should consider or you need to know??? thanks for any help!

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
koosh, use the search engine.

Fast and cheap are contradictions, and sailboats aren't houseboats. You can live aboard a sailboat, but it you want a cheap place to live, a houseboat might work out better.

$10,000 US will buy you something small and old and in need of another $20k in work, especially if you aren't familiar with the ways that a cheap old boat can be a very expensive hole in the ocean.

Not that I don't wish you luck--but read up threads on this topic, the odds are better for a disaster than a jackpot.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
You don't have enough money to do what you want to do. Think seriously about the houseboat suggestion, or save up another 25 or 30 thousand.

·
Registered
452 Posts
You don't have enough money to do what you want to do. Think seriously about the houseboat suggestion, or save up another 25 or 30 thousand.
I’d say he doesn’t have knowledge, skills and dedication.
Money is a secondary thing in this picture and 10 grand is a huge amount of money in right hands.
Anyway, I think that sailnet is under troll's attack.

·
Not Finished Yet
829 Posts
I think you all missed the key point "I'm a college student." I think many boats meet your descriptions. For example and mid 80's Catalina 27 meets every criteria on your list and can maintained for a very reasonable price. I mention this boat because there are a million of them, but there are very many more that also meet your criteria.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Most multihulls in your price range WILL NOT FIT in a single slip. I'd point out that you're not going to get something that is reasonably fast, that is well-suited to liveaboard use and CHEAP.. you can have two of the three: comfortable, fast, cheap... cheap and comfortable will be slow... cheap and fast will generally be uncomfortable, comfortable and fast will cost some bucks.

You might want to look at James Baldwin's Boat List, as a starting point of some boats that might be suitable as small liveaboards... Also, many of the small coastal cruisers, in the 28-32' range would be suitable as well.

hi im a college student interested in finding a live aboard boat. I was hoping some of you could help me. ive been researching sailboats for the past three days (almost nonstop) and still have little clue what will work for me.

my ideas:
1. a liveaboard boat (has a working head, galley and berth)
2. can fit in a normal slip
3. something reasonably fast
4. needs to be cheap, hopefully under 10,000 us
5. can be handled with 1 or 2 people
4. can be bought near LA
5. used boat would be best but i would also "consider" building

also i was interested in a cat or tri... is this possible with my needs?

is there anything else i should consider or you need to know??? thanks for any help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you everyone for the replies, ill take everything into consideration.
i have a few comments and questions:

first what is your guys definition of a houseboat? when i was about 8 i was on a houseboat and that thing was a tank.

thank you raindog, i was hoping to hear something like that, and your right about the whole college aspect. comfort and beauty are not so important to me. I am a backpacker and am used to going to the bathroom behind some random tree and sleeping on a rock. now i dont think i could do that 24-7 but you get the point. anyways im looking into the cat 27s and have started finding stuff up my alley. still lots of work to be done though.

and thank you sailingdog for the help. i found that James Baldwin's Boat List link from one of your previous post a few days ago and have started to go through it. helps a lot.

well thank you all again ill continually keep checking this post and update.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Typically an engineless barge with a house built on top. Or engines that can move it but not very well. Or any variety of hulk that really is designed to allow living on the water--as opposed to actively boating.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,487 Posts
FWIW a slip rental in the LA area, or near any metropolitan area in California, will cost you as much, if not more, than the cost of splitting rent on an apartment or condo with a couple of other students, and slip rent is only the beginning. Getting approval for live-aboard status will be difficult, incur additional fees and subject you to arbitrary inspections to ensure you are not discharging waste into the water. You will also be confronted with the taxes on the slip, personal property taxes on the boat, and the need to provide proof of insurance, which isn't free. I could continue with this litany but shall not. Rest assured, however, that sharing a shore-side residence with other students and participating in one or more of the sailing programs offered by most of the schools—that will give you access to a much wider range of boats and experiences—will be far less costly.
<O:p
Despite the foregoing, if you are bound a determined, simply take a drive to your nearest marina, Marina-del-Rey, Long Beach Marina et al, and take a walk along the docks. There are hundreds of boats sitting unused and ignored and one can usually find out who the owners are from dock-mates and/or the local harbor master’s office, that may also have a list of boats with delinquent rents. A friend of ours did this and just this past week picked up a 1978 Cal 2-29 that looked like heck but was actually not in bad condition for only $1,700 that he’s now paying in monthly installments over a year. His slip rent is, however, $450 per month; and, …<O:p

·
Registered
7 Posts
My wife, 6yr, 4mth and I live on a catalina 27. Tight, but very managable. For a single, you'll have no problem. Get the dinette layout. It has more live aboard/usable space. We just got feed up with land life and rising prices of utilities for the house. I had a catalina 27 before and was very familiar with them. We bought ours for $6500, they could have gotten $9k easy. My live abaord moorage is $250 a month +elec. Insurance is $13 a month. we have a climate controled storage unit and use it as a pantry and closet. We only keep 1 weeks worth cloths on board at a time. Kids love it. Most of my paycheck goes into savings. We are saving to pay cash for MUCH BIGGER Boat. We get called crazy, but nothing beats the view. People pay millions for my view. The tight living is the price we pay for saving for my wifes dream boat, Catalina 42 with W/D. lol

You'll find lots of these boats in the LA area for way under 10k. I thought about buying one there and shipping it up to the NW.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
If you are looking to live at anchor or off a mooring stay away from a houseboat, they are meant to be tied to a slip and have power to them. I lived on a CarlCraft for 3 years and won't recommend one looking for a cheap liveaboard. While they can be bought cheap they require power to liveaboard, they are basically an RV on a keel instead of wheels.

If you look around and find someone knowledgeable to help you you should be able to find a decent sailboat that will fulfill your needs. Well it be perfect? NO. But you can find one with will do most of what you want with some compromise and realizing you are going to have to do some projects. However with a sailboat, a good charging system, good housebank, a wind gen or solar recharge you should be able to live at anchor or on a mooring rather well. You will find all kind of mobile mechanics in the industry that for a fee will be willing to give you some crash courses in maintenance and pointers as you try to do it yourself. I and a lot of other people learned this way and also with the help of dockmates we got a lot done as we could afford it.

Make sure you pick a boat with good dependable family heritiage, ODay, Pearson, Morgan, Tartan, etc... you get the idea. Do your homework and research just like it was a project assign by a prof to learn about the boats and their pros and cons. Then get someone knowledgeable to go with you, most of us love to look at boats and will go with you. I bought a 37 foot Endeavour several years ago with the input of friends to start and then decided to foot the bill for a survey based on their and my opinions and observations. Remember boaters love boats and will take any excuse to look at a boat. My helpers cost me lunch at a good deli and some brews for advise from a couple with over 20 years of experience between them. The surveyor did not find one item they missed, matter of act he missed several they found. Do don't get discouraged go for it and have fun doing it. Living aboard is the greatest life style there is.

I have lived on a sail boat, a houseboat, and a motor yacht. I definitely recommend the sailboat for efficient cost effective housekeeping.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts