SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Solon
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im building some Self-Storage Facilities and Mini-Storage here in Nashville. So I was thinking how it would it go to build some off the the Gulf Of Mexico not right on the water but maybe a mile or two from the water.Have a way to move sailboats and motor boats to and from. I was thinking how much it is to store boats and how cheap self-storage units rents for. I know the mast will have to come down.
I may be way off on this idea please let me know what you think, and how much you would pay to store up to a 40' boat inside? Maybe even have power in the units where you could work on them on the inside. Like I said I may be way off on this idea, but who knows?

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,016 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier to build a giant building and keep the boats inside? From a square footage perspective you'd get much more efficient use of your space than with a mini-storage set-up. Also, think about how you'd get the boat in and out, and blocked. Granted the later concerns are largely logistical (you "just" have to make the unit wide enough), but something to think about.

In an area like the gulf coast, too, why would you take your boat out for an extended period of time? Makes sense in the northeast, but down there aren't the boats in the water most of the year?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Solon,

If I had a boat on the Gulf, I'm pretty sure it would be in the water most of the time? If it required service, I'm sure I'd be looking to stay close to a service marina on the water and not wanting to require transport and move further inland?

BTW, did you purchase a sailboat?

Cheers,

·
Registered
845 Posts
I could see the use for hurricane protection or long term storage over the summer as the snowbirds travel north. You would need a good size hydraulic trailer to get them to and from a Marina. Conditioned airspace would be nice, but expensive.
Up north we use very large buildings for winter storage. Some you can do maintenance in some not. They have limited power as well. Typically; for a 40' boat in the Central (the real upstate/lake ontario) region it runs somewhere between 800 - 1500 dollars for Oct to May. Not including unstepping/stepping mast, crane time, travel lift time and transiting the canal for 2-3 days to location. This is an additional $500-600.

I find it hard to believe that it would be viable down there because of the cost.

WHAT would work. Build a large flat CLEAN fenced in yard with security, well inland (5 miles), where individuals could park their boats cheap and be able to work on them. need this............

Several Acres
Gravel base, no mud
Boat tie-downs/ hurricane anchor tie-downs
Fence
Power for equipment
Lighting; for security
Restrooms
Controlled access
Hydraulic trailer for boats up to 45'/15-20 ton, cheap delivery service
Low rates/ daily and monthly rates.......$20 day/$250 a month
shrink wrap service

This would be a better service i think for down there in your region. Don't forget to inquire about insurance rates for a building like that. Could be a deal breaker.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Actually I think your idea has merit. I moved to the mountains of NC and the boat is a 6 hour drive from here on the east coast. I will only be able to use the boat twice a year for maybe a two week period in the spring and then again in the fall. I much prefer keeping the boat on the hard when not in use since I'm so far away and if reasonable cost for such storage and launching can be obtained then I would take advantage.

·
Registered
145 Posts
40 ft boats are shipped inside containers across oceans
Always thought about loading boats on containers on land and then pile containers 2 or 3 stakes high Easy to have electricity adapted to each container for minimum heating and plenty of room to move around and work on the boat Masts would be stored outside

·
Solon
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies they are all very helpful. I'm just looking for some good investments. I will check into and do some research on the up north part.
The post about one large warehouse sounds pretty good.. Maybe have some chain link fence to separate sections on the inside of warehouse.
Thanks for all the god post and keep them coming. This maybe like all my great ideas I'm always years behind on them..lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts