SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
I'm on the waiting list for a slip at a local yacht club, and also do not (yet) own a boat. So because it could be tough to time the purchase for when my spot becomes available (do't believe the'd hold a slip empty even temporarily) I'm wondering if anyone's got the inside on somewhere cheap near Toronto (Lake Ontario) to tie up for some part of the summer, and possibly storage over the next winter if my wait goes that far.
Trying to avoid the obvious choice of monthly or seasonal rates at a marina (too much $$$).

I had the idea that maybe I could make an offer to pay owner of something I like (and passed survey) some amount per month to keep the boat for me. When my time comes I take delivery and pay the remaining balance. In return he/she gets to use the boat, and the owner is allowed to sell it out from under me provided I get all monies refunded. All in writing of course. At least the seller knows there's someone on the hook (me) to eventually buy it from them.
Any creative suggestions welcomed!!

Size: 26-27' x 8-9' (non-trailerable)
Dock/Hydro/water: Nice but not necessarily required

...thanks
don

·
Warm Weather Sailor
1,040 Posts
Hate to disillusion you but there are no cheap (no matter how you define this) slips in the Toronto area. The only way they'd be cheap is if you're used to Miami or Charleston, then a slip in Toronto would be cheap, in comparison.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Gotta agree with Vasco.. I'm at the Outer Harbour Marina at the foot of Leslie street - You can go month-to-month but it's expensive. A year to year including haulout and storage will cost you +/- 3K for the season.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
With a smaller boat, you might want to try Toronto Sailing and Canoe Club....moorings only, just six feet of depth...but close to downtown and about the cheapest option.

·
Registered
407 Posts
My choice would be Toronto Island Marina. It can be a bit of a pain to get to in the "off" season when the tender isn't running a regular schedule. Decent pricing, friendly staff. They even let you work on your own boat unlike Port Credit Harbour marina

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
The Lakefront Promenade marina just east of PCYC gets good reports, but I don't know the prices.

Shallow draft boats with minimal requirements could go to Toronto Aquatic Park Club out on the Spit. They claim to be the cheapest place due to zero amenities (I think there's a toilet and a launch ramp...)

Becoming a Member | Aquatic Park Sailing Club

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I think that pretty well everywhere runs between 3 and 4K a year.

We were at Bronte Outer Harbour which is newish and has okay facilities. Spent one season there. Funny atmosphere. Reminds of what I imagine an RV park would be like.

Last season we went to Bluffer's Park Marina. A bit less expensive. I think it's the nicest setting of any of the boating facilities. The staff are friendly and there are a number of liveaboards which is a plus from a security standpoint. Negatives - facilities are old and not that well-maintained. Pumpout takes a long, long time. Seriously - a bucket is faster.

The less expensive clubs in Toronto seem to be self-help clubs. i.e.: you do the work to maintain the place. Hard to make that kind of commitment unless you are retired.

Might as well pay the money and go somewhere that you like. If you have a small boat it doesn't matter where you sail from, but if you need to be able to charge batteries, etc. then things like hydro are important.

The economy being what it is, there will be some vacancies next season for sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts