SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to be clear, I have a 22' boat that is more than adequately served by a 50 watt solar panel, I have no need for more electricity.

Nonetheless, I found myself idly browsing wind turbines. I came upon this one on Amazon:
Happybuy Wind Turbine Generator 500W DC 24V Wind Turbine 5 Blade

Yes, "Happybuy" brand so you know it must be good!

But seriously, how crappy is this thing likely to be? What's the difference between marine turbines and backyard ones like this?

You know, just in case I want to put an icemaker on my boat.

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
"HappyBuy" sounds a lot like what my 'Thai' massager says....

It looks very similar to my "SunForce" wind generator.are the idiots so stupid to know they should call it WindForce?

Anyway, it's been fine for 4 years or so.

At the price you will have a happy ending.

��

·
Master Mariner
8,367 Posts
At that price, I'd wager you'd be the most hated person in any anchorage or marina within a year. We had a cheapie anchored near us (not quite next to us) a few days back and we could hardly converse without shouting in our own cockpit because that boat's windgen made such a racket. I don't know if it was the blades or bearings, but it was awful.
Occasionally, we get invited aboard a boat, and they must shut off the windgen so we can converse in the cockpit. I've met a few folks who have noisy windgens who joke that they can tell the wind speed from the noise their windgen makes and one woman who thought the racket her windgen made was really 'neat' because when it was making all that noise, it was producing green power. I gently reminded her that now, instead of emissions pollution, she was making noise pollution. She did not think that at all funny.
I spent the better part of 2 years checking out windgens before I dropped my dime. No way I wanted to be a noise polluter!
But do consider that a windgen will probably average something in the range of a quarter to a third of an amp per hour, overall. Not worth the investment or noise unless you really need a few extra amps of charging at night.

·
Master Mariner
8,367 Posts

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Iirc, there are 3 or so really good ones now...d400, superwind and another...duh, forgot it.

But youre looking at a several $k
And it is another system to manage..in addition to your solar

Northern lats with big wind and little sun, sure, thats your trick

·
Master Mariner
8,367 Posts
Iirc, there are 3 or so really good ones now...d400, superwind and another...duh, forgot it.

But youre looking at a several $k
And it is another system to manage..in addition to your solar

Northern lats with big wind and little sun, sure, thats your trick
The third quiet one is Rutland. Actually, I have no knowledge of the superwind and how quiet or long lasting it is. The three I chose between was D-400, Rutland & Aerogen, after a lot of personal experience and research.
However, just out of curiosity, exactly how must one have to "manage" either of these systems? Both my windgen and solar systems have been in place and operating for YEARS and I have done absolutely no "management" of either. They have also been maintenance free, which is very nice.

·
Barquito
3,499 Posts
If wind generators are loud because of the bearings, I can see how expensive ones could be better. However, if it is just the blades, why couldn't a cheapo just copy the blade profile of a quiet windgen?

·
Master Mariner
8,367 Posts
If wind generators are loud because of the bearings, I can see how expensive ones could be better. However, if it is just the blades, why couldn't a cheapo just copy the blade profile of a quiet windgen?
Cheap equals cheap and you generally get what you pay for but if you add the saltwater environment to the equation, you end up paying a lot more for the cheap stuff.
I could have bought 4 AirX windgens for about what I paid for my Rutland, expecting to get perhaps a year of reliable service from the AirX. So that means every year someone has to go aloft to change it out, never mind storing one aboard in case it fails prematurely. It also means at least twice the shipping if you order two at a time. I certainly am not going to try to save some money up front, only have it cost me much more time, work and money, in the end.
Cheap units have inferior wiring, inferior parts and inferior coatings, not just poorly designed blades. A few get lucky, but most who go for the cheap windgens are not especially popular in the anchorages. So, I guess it is a case, once again, of 'Do I feel lucky?' Well do ya,....?'

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Copy the su33 and they have the j15
Lets try this again with the su35 engines...and expect something different...:)

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have an unhealthy urge to go ahead and order this thing.

• I'm sure it's a piece of crap.

• I'm sure it's noisy.

• I don't need any more electricity.

But it's only $150!! And I kinda wanna play with it.....

Capta is that true, you only get 1/3 amp average out of your windgen? So only 100 watt-hours per day?

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
We have a Aergen 6. At one point they were sold and then made obsolete. But I’ve heard rumors a French outfit bought the design and is planning on making them again. A bit ago I was in Martinique and at that anchorage Aerogen was by far the most common unit. They are very quiet, hearings are off the shelf and dirt cheap. One year I had rain water get into the generator because it was laid on deck. Blew it out, let it bake in the sun for a bit, a blast of WD40 and has been running these three years since. Knock wood.

My nderstanding is the D400 and Aerogen are very similar and can and do use each other’s controllers.

The Aerogen is VERY quiet. It’s spinning right now in about 10 knots and I can’t hear it.

The wind gen didn’t contribute much when living in Delaware. But from the Bahamas South it’s been contributing nicely. I only ever run the Honda if I have some more serious 110v work, like power tools. If this unit was wrecked I’d look for a new Aerogen or a D400.

The little 3 blade units make more noise than juice. Like a capichino machine in a coffee house.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My 1st concern would be the contoller, so its trusted to do no harm
Yeah, I imagine the included controller is garbage. I'm sure it could overcharge the batteries.

I wonder what would happen if I ran the wind gen output into my Genasun MPPT solar controller.... Maybe then I could fry my controller *and* my batteries!

Bad Idea Jeans

·
Master Mariner
8,367 Posts
Capta is that true, you only get 1/3 amp average out of your windgen? So only 100 watt-hours per day?
Its a guess but very close I believe. There are many days when my remote display @ the chart table shows only an amp or two produced over the preceding 24 hour period. Of course, if the wind is blowing 15 to 20 knots consistently, I will get a lot more and during Christmas Winds, I believe its best day was 87 amps over a 24 hour period, which is just slightly over 3.5 amps per hour. On the other hand, our solar can produce that in 4 to 5 hours, but in good sunshine only, of course.

Reactions: Minnesail

·
Master Mariner
8,367 Posts
We have a Aergen 6. At one point they were sold and then made obsolete. But I’ve heard rumors a French outfit bought the design and is planning on making them again. A bit ago I was in Martinique and at that anchorage Aerogen was by far the most common unit. They are very quiet, hearings are off the shelf and dirt cheap. One year I had rain water get into the generator because it was laid on deck. Blew it out, let it bake in the sun for a bit, a blast of WD40 and has been running these three years since. Knock wood.

My nderstanding is the D400 and Aerogen are very similar and can and do use each other’s controllers.

The Aerogen is VERY quiet. It’s spinning right now in about 10 knots and I can’t hear it.

The wind gen didn’t contribute much when living in Delaware. But from the Bahamas South it’s been contributing nicely. I only ever run the Honda if I have some more serious 110v work, like power tools. If this unit was wrecked I’d look for a new Aerogen or a D400.

The little 3 blade units make more noise than juice. Like a capichino machine in a coffee house.
Aerogen is indeed one of the three best, most reliable and quietest windgens on the market.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
The third quiet one is Rutland. Actually, I have no knowledge of the superwind and how quiet or long lasting it is. The three I chose between was D-400, Rutland & Aerogen, after a lot of personal experience and research.
However, just out of curiosity, exactly how must one have to "manage" either of these systems? Both my windgen and solar systems have been in place and operating for YEARS and I have done absolutely no "management" of either. They have also been maintenance free, which is very nice.
I have three years experience with a Superwind and it is both quiet and durable. They are built for severe offshore stuff like North Sea oil rigs. Speaking to one of their reps they expect 25 years before you even need to change brushes. Very happy with this unit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Master Mariner
8,367 Posts
I have three years experience with a Superwind and it is both quiet and durable. They are built for severe offshore stuff like North Sea oil rigs. Speaking to one of their reps they expect 25 years before you even need to change brushes. Very happy with this unit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Nice to know, thanks.
Actually, I wouldn't recommend the Rutland if you are in or planning to go to the Caribbean, not because the unit is not excellent, but their Caribbean rep is a di*k, and made a warranty issue into a nightmare for us!

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have an unhealthy urge to go ahead and order this thing.

• I'm sure it's a piece of crap.

• I'm sure it's noisy.

• I don't need any more electricity.

But it's only $150!! And I kinda wanna play with it.....
"I want to buy it to see how it works" is a perfectly legitimate reason to purchasing something on the cheap. :) The education alone would be more than worth the $150 price - assuming it doesn't damage anything else. Who knows? Maybe it will be everything promised and more.

Just let the rest of us know how it goes.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts