SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the cheapest mooring in the gta is (Toronto,scarborough,Mississauga and surrounding area). I have looked into aquatic park sailing club but I can't find a cost. I am perfectly fine with a mooring ball as opposed to a dock in fact i prefer it, I just need to minimize costs while not jeopardizing the safety of my boat.

I know there are several mooring fields in Toronto and surrounding area but I can't seem to find info or costs. any help would be appreciated. also my boat is 30 feet lod 32 feet loa i don't have insurance, and probably can't get any until next season when I'm finished the work i plan to do, and she draws 4'6".

·
Registered
136 Posts
The issue may not be so much cost but availability. When we were looking three years ago anyway, space was a challenge and owning a boat with no slip to put it isn't a whole lot of fun. There are a lot of clubs, but then you end up paying initiation fees and buying debentures which isn't cheap...once you have that down though, they tend to be quite reasonable. If you want to go a little farther out, I think Newcastle is fairly reasonable from what I have heard. You may have to start making some phone calls to determine price and availability. Doubtful that you can get anything without insurance though.

·
Dirt Free
2,900 Posts
A mooring at Aquatic Park will be the cheapest. Email them through their website for info on prices and availability. There is also room in that bay to anchor.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Actually there was a guy who anchored a 26 (or so) Tanzer in Humber bay park for over a year. Not suggesting you do that though as it wasn't pretty! Broke lose in the winter and got bounced around by the ice, washed up on shore, outboard got stolen, kids played on it....

·
Registered
Beneteau 361
129 Posts
We have friends at Aquatic park - it is a PITA to get to on weekends. You cannot drive into the park so you have to bike (~3km) or take their cart which is once an hour and often full. Also the stink from cormorants across the bay can be bad depending on the wind.

I am looking for a slip myself in the west GTA and everywhere except Port Credit seems to be waitlisted.

·
Registered
136 Posts
We have friends at Aquatic park - it is a PITA to get to on weekends. You cannot drive into the park so you have to bike (~3km) or take their cart which is once an hour and often full. Also the stink from cormorants across the bay can be bad depending on the wind.

I am looking for a slip myself in the west GTA and everywhere except Port Credit seems to be waitlisted.
Mimico may have some slips unless you are over 40 ft. Awesome club.

·
Registered
Beneteau 361
129 Posts
Mimico may have some slips unless you are over 40 ft. Awesome club.
I like the place but it is quite expensive to join. I am thinking about staying in Port Credit for a while until I can get something in Oakville which would be ideal.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i emailed aquatic park, and they have not yet replied. I don't want to anchor out because while i plan to live aboard in the summer, I don't want to risk losing the boat and anchoring out is fine if your staying on the boat but i feel uncomfortable leaving a boat all day to go to work or if i want to visit a friend for a night I can't trust the boat on the hook so I was looking more for a mooring. I'm fine with it being hard to get to as long as the boat is safe and its cheap. I'm a young guy I can handle biking. boat is 30 feet so well under 40. the reason for the liability only is more because I need to do some more work before i think I could get full insurance.

·
Dirt Free
2,900 Posts
Port Credit Harbour has lots of slips. Port Credit Yacht Club has lots of slips under 35' but they also have a $2500 initiation fee for boats of your size.

·
Registered
541 Posts
i emailed aquatic park, and they have not yet replied....
Aquatic Park is by far the cheapest, but the waiting list was long last time I checked. Try Hamilton, you may get more options in the inner harbor.

Even for liability-only insurance you’ll still need a survey.

If you are working on the boat you can get insurance, its called builders plan – check with Robertson & Robertson (Skippers Plan). Once you finish get a survey and full insurance.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Port Credit Harbour has lots of slips. Port credit Yacht Club has lots of slips under 35' but they also have a $2500 initiation fee for boats of your size.
If you stay at the marina you cannot work on the boat.
At the club, on top of the initiation fees, you have dock debentures, bar charges, etc - probably the most expensive around.

·
Registered
Beneteau 361
129 Posts
Alexandra Yacht Club also has mooring balls as far as I know. Good location but may also be waitlisted.

I purchased full insurance last year for my new boat and did not have to provide a survey.

·
Dirt Free
2,900 Posts
If you stay at the marina you cannot work on the boat.
At the club, on top of the initiation fees, you have dock debentures, bar charges, etc - probably the most expensive around.

Actually you can work on your boat, you just can't bring in outside contractors.

No debentures at Port Credit Yacht Club. You must spend $30/month in the bar if you are under 30 years old..... I can easily down 30 bucks worth of Old Credit Amber in a month :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts