SailNet Community banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Doesn't sail enough
623 Posts
If you've got chutzpah, big ground tackle, and a kayak/other tender, leave it riding at anchor in the basin in Tommy Thompson park in the outer harbour...can't beat it for protection against swell.

I have no suggestions for you big boat types. If you're under 24' you can go to Lake Scugog and get a slip for I think well under $1k.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
if i got really good ground tackle and used massive scope would it be safe to leave it there for like 8 hours during a workday. would that be responsible. and if it was really storming or something i could get a transient dock.

·
Dirt Free
2,888 Posts
FYI Tommy Thompson Park = same bay as Aquatic Sailing club.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Scottie, what is the make of boat you have, since you need a main sail?
For insurance call April Insurance for a broker. Keep the policy under 10K, and you can have liability only, or full coverage, without a survey. Do you like that?
You will want coverage, especially if the boat sinks, or ends up on the shore.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Stick with city owned marinas. No debentures. No initiation. No bar tab unless voluntary.

My boss is still waiting for his debenture back from Cathedral Bluffs YC 4 years after leaving.

I was at Bluffers Park Marina last summer (my first with my Edel 22) and they are nice folks. I have since moved our home to Etobicoke right across from Humber Sailing School and the other "Yacht Clubs". I simply don't have 3-4K to give someone over and above my dockage so I am keeping fingers crossed that something opens up in one of the Mississauga city marinas. If not then I will trek across town to Bluffers.

The Toronto marinas downtown are too much. Outer Harbour will charge as though I have 30 feet. The Island marina is about the same as Bluffers but then you have the inconvenience of parking and shuttle ferry across the inner harbour. The most difficult part of sailing should not be getting to your boat.

·
Doesn't sail enough
623 Posts
FYI Tommy Thompson Park = same bay as Aquatic Sailing club.
Yeah just put that together :)

I never figured out where all the different "downtown" places were located, since none of them were ever reasonable options for us (from Thornhill, going north to Lake Simcoe was easier anyhow).

Duchess, couldn't you also put a GPS hooked to wireless internet (or even a SPOT tracker) on the boat when you're not there, so you can keep tabs on where it's swinging, especially when the weather is iffy?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
what kind of ground is it in tommy thomson park and whats the depth like. I have about 30 feet of 5/8 chain and 450 ft of 5/8 rode. What anchor works best, i could buy a new one if the investment pays off in the long run. right now i have a 45 pound cqr and a collection of danforths. The cqr seems to work the best but I'm open to others.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts